MLB.TV for Channels

I prefer Linux for many, many things. Started back on Unix. corporate world, IT is my job, is Windows, so I do most on that. I built the DVR on Pi because I had one sitting here and the image was easy. Is there a guide or readme on getting ssh opened on the image OS?

1 Like

See:

https://getchannels.com/docs/channels-dvr-server/installation/raspberry-pi/#ssh-access

1 Like

Got it, thanks!

This is kicking my butt. I've used putty, SecureCRT, several sets of keys, checking encoding and newlines. Booting with the USB key in or just inserting it. No joy.

Is the Channels image the only way to build or are there packages I could install on a more general Raspbian build?

thanks!

what exactly are you trying to accomplish? i'm lost...

2 Likes

@Mulliganman
@crackers8199
Please use this new topic Docker help needed for MLB.TV for Channels for discussion of your docker issues.
I split off the conversation so it wouldn't clutter this one up.

2 Likes

So far this MLB.tv add-on for Channels has been working great for me, and lo and behold, I'm slowly becoming a baseball fan :slight_smile:

That said, I've discovered that the timing couldn't be more perfect. The MLB At Bat app itself (on AppleTV, at least) is experiencing feature regression. They just added the standard tvOS PIP functionality, but at the same time, removed numerous integral features such as, Catch Up / Start From Beginning / Watch Live, Linescore (jump to an inning), radio station feed selection, watch two games side-by-side, Siri skip ahead capability, and more.

Kind of a bummer. Which means it's great to now be able to instead access this content alongside our other channels, within Channels :slight_smile:

Thanks so much, @crackers8199!

2 Likes

the roku app is exactly the same way, and that's part of the reason why i started writing this to begin with. to change between games on any of the apps really is just such a disaster that it ends up taking several minutes just to switch between them, which causes you to end up missing part of the game. i wanted something that i could easily switch back and forth, and this provides that.

glad you're enjoying it as well! if you run into any issues, just let me know and i'll do my best to fix them!

2 Likes

Hmmm Ive got an ATV 4k and did catchup last night. A few days ago I did the dual game thing without issue

Then your MLB At Bat app hasn't updated yet. Once it does, you won't be able to use those features any more. Which is why I posted that warning...

If you want to preserve the app's functionality as long as possible, you may want to turn "auto update apps" off, if it's not already off.. I'm not sure how long that previous version will keep working though, and it's kind of a PITA to manually update all other apps... but it might be worth it to you.

1 Like

Get SSH running on the DVR. Sorry, not meaning to hijack thread. My goal is to get MLB.TV running following your method.

That discussion really belongs in another thread. Did you look at the How To?

1 Like

Everything is working fine except I ran 2 clients on the same stream and there were some warnings in the logs. Wondering if this is a channels issue maybe?

48.388044 [TNR] Sharing existing connection to M3U-mlbtv for ch20000 Washington Nationals (clients=2, len=0)
2021/05/21 21:29:52.558342 [WRN] Buffer for M3U-mlbtv ch20000 is more than 50% full (clients=2, len=33587200)
2021/05/21 21:30:27.178463 [WRN] Buffer for M3U-mlbtv ch20000 is more than 75% full (clients=2, len=50364416)
2021/05/21 21:30:46.628333 [WRN] Buffer for M3U-mlbtv ch20000 is more than 95% full (clients=2, len=63766528)
2021/05/21 21:30:51.262245 [WRN] Buffer for M3U-mlbtv ch20000 is more than 99% full (clients=2, len=66453504)
2021/05/21 21:30:55.950261 [WRN] Buffer for M3U-mlbtv ch20000 is more than 50% full (clients=2, len=33587200)
2021/05/21 21:31:16.449340 [WRN] Buffer for M3U-mlbtv ch20000 is more than 75% full (clients=2, len=50364416)

that's definitely a channels issue. I am just providing the streams to channels, I have no control over tuner sharing or anything like that.

I may have to do some tinkering tomorrow. I believe out of market fox games are available on mlb.tv, and there are three of them tomorrow. right now, though, the app won't load any national broadcasts...I'll see what I can figure out once those games start tomorrow.

yep, fox regional games are available on mlb.tv (I can see the Phillies/red Sox game in the mlb app on my phone right now). I'll try to get this fixed and get a new build out later tonight.

1 Like

just pushed out version 1.0.1, for anyone who wanted to watch one of the three regional games that are going on right now (keep in mind blackout rules do apply so if the game is available locally for you on FOX it'll be blacked out on mlb.tv).

fixing the stream loader was an easier change than fixing the guide, so at the moment these games will not show up in the guide...but if you go to the channel for one of those teams (phillies, red sox, dodgers, giants, cubs or cardinals) that are playing on FOX right now, it will load the stream for you if it's not blacked out in your area.

i will work on fixing the guide next, but i wanted to get this one out there ASAP in case anyone was wanting to watch one of these games. just update your docker command or docker-compose file to use the new version matty8199/channels-baseball:1.0.1 and you should be good to go.

just pushed 1.1.0, which includes the games in the epg as well. that turned out to be easier than i thought.

side note: this will also show the sunday night game in the guide, which is obviously going to be blacked out for anyone in the US (but i left it in there in case there are any overseas channels users who are using this as well). just throwing that out there to try to avoid any "why does the guide show me that the sunday night game is available when i can't watch it?" questions...this will work the same way the app works now if you try to load a stream and are in that team's blackout region: you'll see a message on screen indicating that the game is unavailable due to blackout restrictions.

edit: at the moment, these games will only show in the guide for the home team (but if you try to navigate to the channel for the away team it will also load the stream from there). i'm working on getting it to show in the guide for both teams as we speak.

1 Like

pushed 1.2.0, which includes all the changes described above along with having the national games included in the guide for both home and away teams.

again, a significant portion of these games will be blacked out (including all sunday night games in the US as well as any FOX games which are available on your local FOX station).

still will have to work on fixing the issue in-between games of a doubleheader. hopefully will have time to get that fixed tomorrow.

2 Likes

I thought it was just me - same feature regression! Now, today, I'm getting a blackout on what should not be blacked out. I wonder if it's an issue with Apple TV.

Crappy Ballysports screwed up everything. What a PITA that a multibillion dollar conglomerate (MLB) can't figure out how to broadcast games without all this crap.