Modify Channel Order

Is there any way to arrange the order of the channels on the guide?

You can order them by name or channel number, but not arbitrarily.

You can re-arrange your favorites in any order you like, however.

where would you rearrange the favorites?

You do it from the "On Now" screen after selecting Favorites in the client. Then select the channel you want to move and SELECT/HOLD and then select rearrange. Then that will follow to the Guide as well as the On Now.

This is great for moving a couple of channels to the top of the list, it's pretty tedious to move a lot of channels this way. For example, the default channel order for Spectrum channels, with an HDHR prime, and on a 4k Fire TV, is apparently random (not numeric, not alpha by channel name or number). If I select "channel order" in the lineup order setting, it puts the channels in numeric order when "All Channels" is selected in the guide, but the original random order is shown for "Favorites". Thus, to get the Favorites in numeric order, every single channel must be moved in the Favorites menu.

Maybe this is a bug in the Fire TV interface? Whether it's a bug or not, how about adding an API command to set the channel order?

No. Favorites syncing doesn't really exist. It's on the devs' radar, and improvements for syncing settings across clients are planned.

As far as Spectrum's order goes, IIRC, 1-499 was usually SD, 500-699 were premiums, 700-899 were HD, and 900s were Music Choice. Of course, there were some overlapping numbers (for instance, some sports channels were in the 600s). Also, the channel grouping within a section were usually grouped by network parent (such as all Viacom channels together, all Discovery networks together), and then further grouped by general content-type.

But yes, the arbitrary numbering scheme of any provider is incredibly difficult to make actual sense out of.

Has this capability been taken away? I'm using an AppleTV 4K as the client, when I press&hold on a channel in Favorites under On Now I get a screen as attached.

and Manage Channel only changes the view.

This feature is not available on tvOS 14.3 and will return shortly when 14.4 is released.

Thanks for the update. I thought I had messed something up.

tvOS 14.4 loaded today and ability to change favorites is back.

1 Like

The server based channel ordering and client sync has been thrown out there for years at this point. Can we get a realistic update?

1 Like