Modifying comskip.ini on a MacMini

Hey guys. I recently decided to dedicate my 2012 MacMini Server edition as my Channels DVR/Server. Comskip is pretty slow on this Mac although it has a 2.7ghz (3.3Ghz Boost) Quad Core i7 Processor and 16GB of RAM. I would like to configure my Comskip configuration to use maybe 2-3 Cores for processing. The Mac will only be used for Channels so I can easily devote 2 cores to comskip processing. Can anyone please describe how I can do this? What files need to be modified, and where can I find these files on MacOS Catalina?

It goes into ~/Library/Application Support/ChannelsDVR/data/

1 Like

Thanks for the speedy response. But I’m still confused. What exactly goes into that directory? I’m assuming you mean the modified ini file, but how do I retrieve the original? Thanks.

Look on your dvr drive under the Logs/comskip directory for a sample comskip.ini which you can modify and move into the directory I mentioned

1 Like

I’m assuming these Logs are hidden by Mac OS? I can’t seem to find any log folders on my Mac at all. Which is why I opened this Topic. I have a general idea of what needs to be done, but can’t for the life of me find the files or directories mentioned in previous posts which are mostly on Windows Machines. I found the Library directory you mentioned above. But can’t find the logs to retrieve the original file.

The Logs directory is on your external drive where movies and tv shows are recorded.

Here's our default file we use in the dvr:

verbose=10
detect_method=123 ;; everything but scenechange
punish_no_logo=0
cc_correct_type_modifier=1
length_nonstrict_modifier=1.5 ;; required before below due to comskip.ini parsing bug
combined_length_nonstrict_modifier=1
min_show_segment_length=222
min_commercialbreak=45
use_existing_logo_file=0
logo_fraction=0.39
delete_logo_file=1
output_vdr=1
output_edl=1
output_ffmeta=1
output_ffsplit=1
lowers=1

Nevermind. I found it!! Was looking on my original/server drive and not the internal one where the recordings are stored. BUT, the comskip folder is empty. I’m assuming that’s because I deleted the recordings I had?

Yes, there will be one folder in there for each recording you have.

Thank you!! I’m gonna randomly record something to generate the ini file and will report back. Again, thanks for the insanely responsive and helpful support. Much appreciated.