Most basic of Basic question

I think understand streamlinks and how to set them up and create a text file but I am missing the key piece of the puzzle or I am simply the stupidest person on the planet. Always possible. I have an Nvidia Shield with a usb drive as my Channels DVR. The Dvr is pointed to the USB drive for storage. Can I add a secondary location on a network as another storage point? If so how? If not, how do I get the file to the USB drive? Do I have to take it out of the shield and put it on manually? I can’t seem to get it on using the web interface.

We have been meaning to add a box on the web UI where you can paste the link and have it create the text file for you. Unfortunately its not available yet.

I think maybe you can find some type of file explorer for the shield that will let you do it. There is also a way to expose the drive as a network share and then you can connect to it from another machine and create files that way.

1 Like

I have networked it to my MacBook and I can see the folder on the Shield while I am on my MacBook. However, I am can't enter and locations from my MacBook from the channels local content import screen. The address bar is grayed out. If I just move the file into the folder on via my MacBook it doesn't show up in the DVR library.

1 Like

Did you move it into the Imports folder?

I moved it from my Mac to the tv sub folder in the Imports folder.

As you can see I can’t figure out how to add a source. I have tons of data but can’t add a drive or location where it is on my computer.

You don't need to add a source if you move the strmlnk file into Imports.

Did you create a folder for the tv show? Are you sure it's called strmlnk and not strmlnk.txt

I moved it into the TV sub folder of the Import folder directly from my MacBook to the drive on the network. It has the correct name structure but I can’t see it in the channels DVR settings page or in the App Library.

Is it mentioned in the dvr log under Support

No it isnt mentioned. I used SMB to connect the macbook to the Shield IP address for the ChannelsDVR. I can see the all the folders shown in the web setup page but is it possible it isn't the same physical location? I can copy a folder but when you go to the server web page you cant see it under the local content.

Can you screenshot finder on your Mac where you created the file

Sure.

You need to make a folder for the show, then a folder for the season inside.

Also in your first post you referenced Stream Links which work with some supported services, and launch their apps to play content. The suffix for those files is .strmlnk.

In your screenshot I see you're using the .strm suffix, though. That suffix is for Stream Files, which differ from Stream Links, they contain a URL that points to an actual video file, which plays directly in Channels.

Just mentioning the distinction so you format the file properly and use the correct suffix.

Yeah, I was trying stream link and when that didn’t work stream files with a link to a movie I have.

That was my missing link. The subfolder. Thanks so much. I understand it much better now. Need to work on my scripting skills now.

1 Like