Move Channels DVR from One Pi to Another

Hello,

I am currently running Channels DVR server on a Raspberry Pi 4B with 32-bit Buster. I want to build a new server (on identical hardware) with 64-bit Bullseye and migrate all Channels settings, recordings, etc. over. I found an old thread from 2019 where someone did something similar but it wasn't one Pi to another Pi. Is there documentation available on how to do this?

Thanks.

1 Like

When I swapped Pi's, all I had to do was plug the USB hard drive in and boot up. Just make sure to have the new Pi set for USB boot. Everything already resides on the hard drive.

1 Like

That works if you use our image but the OP has a custom install.

That's why I like your image - Simplicity!

Doing this migration today!

When copying the contents of the DVR folder on the Pi up to my Synology NAS, I got 107 of the following errors at the end of the copy process...

video.mpg: Symlinks not supported by backend

Is this something I need to be concerned about? I just used the file manager on the Pi. Do I need to do the copy some other way?

Thanks.

You can ignore the symlinks (they are part of Logs/comskip)

1 Like

Thanks for the help. This worked great. I had a small issue with the guide data for my HDHomeRun (the local channels wouldn't show the network logos or programming). I don't remember exactly what I did to resolve it but some combination of deleting and/or redownloading the guide, rescanning for channels, etc. and it all snapped into place. Everything I did was via the web interface. Overall, a very smooth migration and good to be on 64-bit Bullseye. Thanks again.

Every time I have moved a Channels DVR installation or restored from backup, I had to Delete and Recreate the Guide database. I think it's normal, it's just not mentioned in those instructions.

1 Like