Moving DVR to new server

I originally set up DVR on a Mac Mini. Worked great. I decided to invest in a proper NAS (QNAP TS-251+) and want to move the DVR to it.

I set up the QNAP using .qpkg and it’s running great
Itself. Except it mapped port 8090 for remote access to it, presumably because 8089 was still mapped for the Mac DVR. Locally of course the new one still uses 8089 inside my network.

I then stopped the Mac DVR, copied all the files over to the QNAP and used the restore function. It seems to have restored all my settings and passes and recordings.

But 2 issues:

• Can I somehow get the external remote access to port 8089 go to the QNAP DVR? It seems to still want to go back to the Mac. And need to use 8090 to get to the new one. Of course this is mostly just an annoyance. It would like to fix if easy. If I uninstall the mac completely, and restart everything, will the QNAP remap to 8089 for remote?

• The bigger issue is the Channels tvOS app beta can’t seem to find the DVR. When I go to the DVR in the app, it tells me to go to the URL to complete the setting. And sometimes it still directs me to the Mac DVR, even though it’s not running (but not uninstalled). Will this also clear itself up if I uninstall on the Mac and reboot? Or do I need to do something more to fix this?

Hope these make sense and are easily correctable!

The port forwarding can be configured directly on your router from the router web admin.

Thanks I know I can do that. But if possible I’d like for it to just do the natpmp itself, but back to 8089.

Sounds like your Mac DVR is still running, so it’s taking up the port and confusing the clients.

Run this command in Terminal to uninstall it:

./channels-dvr/uninstall.sh

Thanks! I finally did just run in the uninstall (after copying all the video files, as I wasn’t sure if the uninstall would delete them). Once I did that, I noticed that both my issues were resolved! Port 8089 is now pointing to the new QNAP NAS DVR and the Channels beta tvOS app is working. It was having trouble playing one test recording I made, but one of the ones I moved over worked fine. I set it to record another new show as a test and will check it out when I get back home later.

Thanks again!

1 Like