Moving installation to Docker

Hi everyone, could I ask for some advice; I currently have my setup on a Linux VM and have everything related to Channels on mnt/disk/Channels

I want to move this to a docker. Might be a silly question but on my docker compose file, under "volumes", I'm a bit confused what I need to pass through to the container, based on what I can see on the install page.

volumes:
    - /mnt/disk/dvr/config:/channels-dvr
    - /mnt/disk/dvr/recordings:/shares/DVR

I'm guessing

- /mnt/disk/Channels:/channels-dvr

Would be enough? But I have directories on the disk which have films and tv shows too?

/mnt/disk/dvr/recordings:/shares/DVR is where your recordings are, with directories like
Database
Images
Imports
Logs
Movies
Streaming
TV

/mnt/disk/dvr/config:/channels-dvr is where the executables and log file are, with directories like
data
latest

You can find the directory in your current install by searching the Channels DVR log for [SYS] Starting Channels DVR

2024/09/03 08:48:19.361714 [SYS] Starting Channels DVR v2024.09.03.0452 (linux-x86_64 pid:17067) in /var/packages/ChannelsDVR/target/channels-dvr/data

In this example, it's located at /var/packages/ChannelsDVR/target/channels-dvr
On my Synology NAS, that's a symlink

# ls -l /var/packages/ChannelsDVR/target
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 Aug 11  2023 /var/packages/ChannelsDVR/target -> /volume1/@appstore/ChannelsDVR

to /volume1/@appstore/ChannelsDVR/channels-dvr

I guess my real question is do I have to be explicit and provide both of those or when I do a restore will channels dvr find the right directories if I show it a mount point which leads to all of the above?

I have a Channels directory with subdirectories annd all of the stuff you mentioned is in there.

Yes
If you have everything in one directory, just volume map both of them (/shares/DVR and /channels-dvr) to that directory. You shouldn't have to do a restore if Channels DVR can see everything that exists now from inside the new container. So in your case

volumes:
    - /mnt/disk/Channels:/channels-dvr
    - /mnt/disk/Channels:/shares/DVR

And of course you'll have to change the DVR directory in the web UI
from /mnt/disk/Channels
to /shares/DVR
after moving it to the container

1 Like

Ah, you're right I'm sorry I didn't realise there was another directory, I found that too.

Many thanks @chDVRuser !

1 Like