Multiple Remote Streams Hardware

Hello! Currently running channels DVR on a Raspberry Pi4 (2GB RAM). Can anyone help me with a server hardware recommendation for the following requirements?

1. (5) concurrent remote streams (live TV) via hardware transcoding
  2. Rack or wall mounted
  3. Expandable storage with USB3.0

What would the bandwidth requirements be for a channels server with 5 concurrent remote streams?

Thanks!

Transcoding or original quality. If you don’t transcode the requirements are just bandwidth. Any of can do it.

If it’s transcoding, you’ll probably want to do it in software and get a beeeeefy cpu. Any hardware transcoding won’t be able to do that many streams at once.

1 Like

I have seen Quick sync do up to 10 transcodes 1080 to 720p... I know NVIDIA old cards were limited to 2 concurrent streams but not Quick sync on a beefy CPU.

Transcoding or original quality. If you don’t transcode the requirements are just bandwidth. Any of can do it.

What is the difference between transcoding & original quality?

One is transcoding the video, converting it to a lower quality (usually because upstream bandwidth isn’t fast enough) and the other just sends it out untouched.

Transcoding uses a lot of hardware resources, original quality uses none.

Have you done a speed test to test your outgoing bandwidth in your internet connection? This will assuredly be the limiting factor.

Have you done a speed test to test your outgoing bandwidth in your internet connection? This will assuredly be the limiting factor.

Is this just upload speed from the ISP? I am getting 10Mbps upload speeds.

1 Like

A single mpeg2ts stream from an hdhr ranges from 6-10mbps. You are definitely going to need to transcode your 5 concurrent streams. Or up your internet to a package with 100mb upload

There’s no way you’re going to handle 5 concurrent streams at once with 10 mbps upstream. Even with transcoding, it’s gonna be a bad time.

Thank you! is 100mbps upload ever possible with DOCSIS/HFC ISP infrastructure? Xfinity's top speed for upload is only 35mbps. Is the only option fiber for symmetrical speed?

Yeah until they migrate to the high split and give upstream more space on the low end or move to the latest iteration of docsis that allows symetrical communications on the same freq for both upload and download. But i think you may be in for a long wait as your upload will be max 35mbit for while.... Short answer if you have fiber available there is literally no reason to not get it :wink: