Multiple servers on network

I was wondering if it is possible to have multiple servers on the network. It seems to work perfectly but not from the Channels App, which only recognizes one of the servers at a time. Anyone with a similar experience?

The app only supports one DVR connection. You can change the DVR its connected to by clicking Connect to DVR and selecting At Home.

Thank you for the reply. Is this something that the team would consider as a suggestion?

What is your use-case?

If you want the app to connect to multiple DVRs at the same time, that's not likely to ever happen. There are too many technical challenges involved in something like that. Plus the DVRs would compete over the same HDHRs and probably miss recordings.

The idea was to have one server associated with the HDHRs and another with cable recordings using TV Everywhere. Mostly because the servers are built of older hardware and I fear they are not powerful enough to handle it all alone. But it is not a requirement as I can activate the DVRs through the web interfaces. It was just a nice to have. Thank you for the quick reply.

I have a similar use case, except it would be on two different networks connected via an encrypted VPN tunnel.

Site 1: HD Homerun Prime with a cable subscription
Site 2: HD Homerun Quadro with antenna.

Right now I'm using Site 1 and streaming across the internet, but it would be nice to have only the cable channels stream and all the locals come from site 2.

I know that is a tall order. Just a suggestion.

Either way I love the product.

1 Like

I love it too. Very innovative.

My use case is to be able to switch DVR's easily. I.E. Connect to both but only 1 at a time.
Example: My wife has her DVR and I have my DVR. We have 8 TV's in the house. I normally use mine in "my" TV Room and sometimes in the kitchen/pool room. So if there was a check box in say the settings where I could use one or the other would be nice.

Also, on a side note. It would be nice to be able to "enable/disable" a TV Source in the DVR Settings as easy as it is in the Apple TV Client. I am currently testing the Locast source and I wanted to disable the Antenna (hdhomerun). The easiest way was to just unplug it. I would have preferred to disable it and easily enable it when I wanted to use it. Also, I could do that for only 1 of the DVR's whereas now neither has access because I unplugged it.

True, there is no good way to disable an input on the DVR. The best option is to click the "Trash" icon to remove the guide info associated with that tuner. Another option is to move the HDHR antenna input to the bottom of the priority list, thus leaving it in the rotation for recordings "just-in-case", but preferring all other inputs first.

I'm thinking about setting up a permanent, secondary Channels DVR server, on a Pi 4.

Use case is simply to separate users.
Since Channels DVR does not have user profiles, like Emby and Plex does, i really am getting annoyed with having my mother clog up the DVR with all her shows and passes...I just want to see my stuff...

Don't really like the idea of having 2 servers to have to maintain and update/ troubleshoot....but don't really have any other options.

One thing I am concerned about, is having many more TVE authentications happen with 2 servers running. Or more.
Say I had setup 10 servers for 10 separate users, with the same TVE account on each....at what point would it become excessive and the provider lock out or detect excessive authentications, I know Comcast can be quite picky sometimes with using their TVE login info.

Wait 48 hours between scans, and you should be fine. Also, beware about concurrent streams. You usually only get 2-4 concurrent streams per network. (Note: that's network, not necessarily channel.)

Can you expand up on that statement?
Like there are several channels that make up Discovery owned networks...
So, you only get a total of 2-4 streams, for over all those groups of channels?

Correct. That type of limiting is why Spectrum users have to wait nearly 4-7 days to authenticate all of their TVE channels.

mmmm. I have run into the issue of trying to re-add Comcast to Channels, and multiple times it does cause a lock out as in it fails to authorize, and have to wait 48hrs or more.

But I thought that was limited to the process of Scanning in the channels, as it is mass trying to authorize each channel.,..and there are more than 100 of them.

But, so, u are saying that, if i actively stream more than 4 of the same network group of channels, it could cause such a lockout? That would be news to me.

Now, the server uses Tuner Sharing for TVE, so, for the same single channel when in use(live or recording), it will always use one connection stream to that channel, and share that stream to all clients...right? So in that case, would one be 1 stream right?

Yes, correct.

Correct. All TVE streams are always consolidated as if "Tuner sharing" was enabled. But, you will always be limited by your provider's agreement with the networks, including limitations about concurrent streams.