I downloaded the iOS beta last night (thanks for the invite) and used it to watch some TV last night and this morning. Here are my comments so far:
- On the ‘on now’ and ‘guide’ screens, is it possible that the hardest press 3D touch action can ‘pop’ into the live feed of the channel? To me that would be kind of cool, so I could just skip past viewing the program info quickly without an additional tap.
- A startup screen preference setting would be nice, where you could choose to either have the ‘on now’ screen or ‘guide’ screen show up when you first launch the app. I think for me, I am gravitating towards the grid guide and will often times be starting up the app and immediately going to the guide view tab.
- I said this in one of the public threads, but I’ll repeat it here. A mode for the iOS app to act as a remote control for the Apple TV app could be pretty neat and useful.
- This request may be out there a little bit, but here goes: Once the DVR server is in beta, an option in the iOS app to use the DVR for transcoding (provided the system the DVR is running on meets the specs to transcode) I’ve got a feeling that may be a bit tricky for quality assurance reasons, but being able to choose to transcode live TV or recorded shows at the DVR should mean that viewing via slower/older wireless connections should be improved, and could mean you’d be able to watch shows on your phone or tablet further away from your router than you currently can without worrying about the picture or sound starting to break up.
- This one doesn’t bother me and it’s a small one, but I think that if you’re going to default the app to a purple color scheme (obviously it’s the color you use heavily for marketing), an option to choose between a few basic color schemes could be nice, like grey, blue, red and green.
Other than those things, the app has been great. Performance wise I’ve had no issues so far. I plan on using it quite a bit over the next few days and will post any additional feedback that I may have.