My quick review of streaming your own TV shows and Movies from Channels

I've been away from Channels DVR for a while but decided to subscribe for a month or 2 to grab all the Paris Olympics coverage from my HDHR and watch it over the next several weeks.

I noticed that you can now add in your own movies and TV shows (kind of like Plex/EmbyJellyfin) and stream that as well. My quick and dirty review will focus on that.

First off, for DVR functionality, Channels continues to be the absolute best of breed so I won't talk about that.

As far as competing against Plex/Emby/Jellyfin for streaming your personal library of media..... Channels isn't too bad but could be better.

I think I saw one of the developers mention that there are no plans to enable library sharing so your friends and family can stream media from you remotely. I'm guessing that they'd prefer not to go down this path due to the potential for opening themselves up to legal fights and I get that but Plex, Emby and Jellyfin seem to be doing just fine and if that day ever comes, just release an update that nukes that capability. As much as I love Plex, Emby and Jellyfin, their DVR functionality sucks, to put it mildly, and they each have their own strengths and weaknesses with streaming local media. Having "one ring to rule them all" would be an amazing thing.............. being able to combine the best DVR software on the planet with a Plex/Emby/Jellyfin type streaming experience all in the same app would be a perfect union! Being a direct competitor to those 3 programs is an area where I wish Channels would expand further into.

We need a media server that can pull in all the good parts of Plex/Emby/Jellyfin and none of the garbage. Since the Channels DVR developers have shown that they are more than capable of making the best DVR software on the planet, folks like myself know that they could knock it out of the park if they went head to head with Plex/Emby/Jellyfin.

Here are some areas of improvements that I'd like to see Channels address:

A-Z jump bar so I can quickly move to any movie/TV show in my library

The ability to give names to folders I add. (Example, I add a movie folder that contains documentaries, I'd like to name that folder "Documentaries" and have that name show up somewhere in Channels. If I add another movie folder named "Kids Movies", I'd like to see that unique name pop up, etc.)

Ability to sort by genre when scrolling through your media

On the client device, the ability to force transcoding if I want to

A shortcut to get to the top of the screen and select 'recently added', 'alphabetical', etc. when viewing your media

A dashboard that shows 'recently added' across all your libraries of media.... so it groups recently added TV shows -and- movies

The ability to share your library with friends and family (I know, I know) :slight_smile: but see my comment above and if this starts to become a legally bad move, remove this capability with an update.

Lots of us media server folks -LOVE- your DVR software and would dump Plex/Emby/Jellyfin in a heartbeat, and happily pay monthly/annually, if there was feature parity with those 3 programs (minus their sucky parts) lol

Since I only really use Channels for the DVR, I just subscribe for a month or 2 for the Olympics then cancel. If I could replace Plex/Emby with Channels, you'd have a constant flow of money from me. Please re-consider the ban on sharing media with friends and family. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fair review. :slightly_smiling_face:

That may not work exactly as you expect but you may want to take a look at library collections:

Combined with:

Also:

The problem with all this is that it requires a lot of manual manipulation ... Where Emb/Plex use the TMDB to nicely load movies into collections automatically. I started to try and setup my movies into collections then I said this is too tedious ... where EMBY does all the work for me.

2 Likes

This is very interesting. Would you be able to share an example? I'm very curious. :slightly_smiling_face:

Wouldn't you be able to get something similar using smart rules in Channels?

I have to admit that I am not a power user in Channels DVR when it comes to using the library. :yum:

1 Like

This is done automatically and as you add Movies to EMBY it adds them to appropriate collections. TMDB has this info available to Channels DVR. All are recorded using Channels DVR.

1 Like