NAS Writing

For me it's the noise that occurs. A thudding every second.

Plex and Emby do not do this when recording TV. Unfortunately it's that bad I may have to ditch channels :frowning:

Oh. I missed that. I also have read/write cache which maybe help's me. I also have it in another room in a media center. But in the past I had a WD DAS device that made a lot of noise which was very annoying so I can appreciate the issue.

If I go in that room I can here it but it does not bother me. And I also have a DS918+ right next to it. My DS1019+ has 4 drives and my DS918+ only have 2 drives.

My DS218+ makes a regular drive sound when recording, but it’s in a utility room, and not next to our living area. Seems completely normal to me.

It's not the standard sound my NAS makes. It's more of a thud it's very bizarre.

Channels: where/is there a cache directory? I could use docker to map it to a diff. drive.

There's no cache. The video data is received over the network and written directly to the recording.

1 Like

I use a couple Synology NAS's and the drives do make some noise.
Depends on the NAS/Drives/Where and how it's mounted.
Put some mouse pads or felt feet under your NAS if you have to sleep next it?
Don't put it next to your ear and keep if off surfaces that resonate.

If you have a Synology, schedule, or run a SMART Drive test for all drives at the same time and listen to your drives. Get's quite noisy during the seeks. That's the nature of the beast, it's nothing to do with Channels DVR, Synology controls how the drives are written. Use some noise dampening as I mentioned, or move it away from your ear so it doesn't bother you.

The only thing that would be totally silent is SSD drives in a PC that doesn't need fans.

I don't "sleep next to it" or "put my ear next to it". I run S.M.A.R.T. overnight and as it's in another room no one can hear it.

It's in my living room and I can hear it over my TV as reasonable volume. I have had NAS for 8 years and this is the only time I've ever encountered anything like this. I'm not slamming Channels (far from it) I'm just trying to investigate why it would only be Channels doing it.

Maybe it's because it's not constantly writing to the disk? I've no idea and nor does anyone else but it is strange. It maybe because I have Seagate Ironwolf 10TB and I believe they are helium filled that it's amplifying the noise.

I'll have to upload some audio clips so people can hear just what I'm on about.

One of your drives is probably going to fail and you are hearing a precursor to its eminent demise. It came up during your use of Channels because this is the most frequently used app on the NAS that does large writes to disk.

I agree with @chDVRuser about the SMART test. If you can pinpoint which drive is doing it, you might be able to RMA it under the manufacturer's warranty. I don't know what Seagate does, but the WD Red drives (WD version of IronWolf) have 3-year warranty. 1 of the 9 drives in my NAS started giving I/O errors during HyperBackup at close to the 3 year mark. WD replaced it immediately, no questions asked. It is easy to replace a failing drive in a NAS without downtime... this is exactly what RAID is for.

I'd hope not. S.M.A.R.T and Ironwolf's tests come back OK.

I might take a drive out and see what happens actually.

What model Synology?
How much memory?
Is it Synology memory or aftermarket?
Are you using an SSD cache in the Synology?

Here's what my DS1019+ looks like when it's idle, doing nothing.
8GB System Ram.
5 WD100EFAX WD Red 10TB NAS drives in a single volume SHR raid using ext4 filesystem.
If I listen close I can hear the drives when it writes.

While recording one tuner from HDHR Prime ~4Mbps

Recording from all 3 tuners of HDHR Prime ~20Mbps while running 2 comskips on previous recordings.

If I listen closely, I can hear the disks seeking. Maybe the Ironwolf drives are just noisier than the WD RED's. Or maybe how they're mounted in the Synology drive carriers.