NAS Writing

I'm not sure if the way episodes are written to disk has been changed in the latest DVR but I now find my drives writing every second on and off. It is driving my Mrs nuts (the noise) and I worry about my drives wear-and-tear.

It's hard to explain but it's write 1s stop write 1s stop over and over and it sounds like someone is tapping my nas box. I believe it only started when my DVR updated.

What does it show under Activity on the DVR web UI?

When it occurs it says it's recording show name.

It's normal for the disk to be used when recordings are happening.

It sounds like maybe there's a mechanical failure happening with your hard drive if it is making weird noises.

It only happens when Channels is recording. Plex or Emby are ok. I tested it to be sure - S.M.A.R.T and Ironwolf both say the drives are OK. It's bizarre.

I tested it again last night and sure enough, 3 minutes to 20:00 (I have a 3 minute buffer on shows) Channels starts recording and writing to my drive every 2 seconds or so. I have Ironwolf drives and they are not the quietest. This didn't happen with previous DVR versions so I am confused.

Is there anything in the DVR's Log?

All have is:

2019/08/07 19:57:00 [DVR] Starting job 1565204220-1 GPs: Behind Closed Doors on ch=[105]
2019/08/07 19:57:00 [TNR] Opened connection to 1///removed///F for ch105 Channel 5 HD
2019/08/07 19:57:00 [DVR] Recording for job 1565204220-1 from 1///removed///F ch105 into "TV/GPs Behind Closed Doors/GPs Behind Closed Doors S06E40 2019-08-07 2019-08-07-1957.mpg" for 1h5m59.876546712s
2019/08/07 19:57:01 [IDX] Generating video index for job 1565204220-1

It's when the job is started the noise starts. I'm not 100-percent technical on the backend but does Channels write to ram and then write to disk or pure write to disk?

Data always has to go through RAM as the CPU cannot talk to the disk directly.

Do you have multiple disks in your NAS? What kind of RAID setup are you using? Maybe one disk is failing and the other is fine.

AFAIK there's nothing software can do which would cause hard-disks to make noise. The HDD controller receives all the data and decides when and how to write it.

If you're hearing a clicking sound that almost certainly means a drive is failing. It could be triggered by certain parts or sectors of the spindle so if the DVR data is located on a different part of the disk than other apps data that could explain the discrepancy as well.

I wondered if it wrote to ram in blocks then to disk.

I have two disks but they are only a couple of months old and tests say there are no issues.

It isn't clicking but the sound of the disk writing but it's writing for a second stop a second writing for a second etc etc over and over until the episode is recorded. It isn't continuous like Plex and Emby.

Are you still having this problem?

I am, yeah :slight_smile:

Can you make a voice recording of the issue and send it to [email protected] ?

Oh, you did earlier today. Nevermind, thanks.

1 Like

Did you get a chance to look at this? :slight_smile:

Honestly we have idea what's causing this. No one else has reported any similar issue. I thought someone else emailed about it and we could try to find what was common between the two setups, but then I saw it was you.

We made some tweaks after you first reported the issue with the one thing that happens every second during recording but removing that didn't seem to make any difference for you.

Maybe you can check the disk activity/throughout monitoring graphs on your NAS and see if there is some sort of rhythm shown there?

Or pull out the drives and make sure you used all the screws to secure it onto the bays.

Here is a screenshot of the graph while it is recording the Great British Bake Off right now.

It isn't constantly writing I don't know if this is what is going on?

Is there any sort of log I can provide on this? It's still happening :frowning:

Sorry but we are at a loss as to what's happening. We have hundreds of users running on DSx18+ and no one else has reported anything like this.

I am recording 1 show and detecting commercials on another recording and watching 2 live shows on my DS1019+ DVR.

Looking at my graph it looks similar. Below the graphic is show the speeds.

Currently my write speed gets up to 8MB/s but it is going up and down as load as 1 MB/s.

Would this not be normal?