Need to switch between 2 different “Channels DVR”

Currently I have 2 Channels DVRs running simultaneously for testing TVE only.

1. NAS
  2. IMac I-7

This is fine for web ui, however for iOS/tvOS apps the process can be onerous.

Is there an easy way to switch between the 2?

Currently, the only way I’ve been able to is to “stop” the iMAC (test only)...easiest way is just to close and reboot.

Suggestions:
Add a function on app settings to switch DVR servers
Add a function to the following page:

In the app click Connect to DVR > At Home and enter the IP of the dvr you want to use

Thanks

If you could also add on page attached...it would be a big help. Can’t go anywhere until I reboot/start the server.

Thanks

I would love this option as well. Entering the IP ADDRESS whenever you want to change DVR's takes too long so mainly I do not do it.

Here is my use case:
I am running 2 DVR's in the house for 8 TV's. The only TV pointing to "my" DVR is in my TV Room (man cave if you will). But if I go down to the kitchen (pool room connected) and turn on that TV it is connected to the other DVR (the wife's) DVR. I wanted to watch the DEBATE's last week in the kitchen and remember it was on my other DVR. I could connect to my DVR (assuming I could remember the IP) and then switch back to my wife's (assuming i could remember the IP) but decided the DEBATE's could wait until I got back up stairs.

Another use case:
My daughter has Channels DVR. It would be nice if she could have 1 Local DVR and 1 Remote DVR that she could "easily" switch between. This may be a harder problem to solve. And not sure how this would affect TVE via the DVR.

And since discussing this:
It would be nice if the Apple TV Settings could come from the DVR I am connected to as an option. Like if I connect to "my" DVR I get my Favorites and Source Seq. and of course my Recordings.

Example:

Connect to DVR and you have a drop down to choose from? This would work well when you have multiple in the same home location.

If you have 1 home and 1 remote it would nice to have the option to pick one you want to use.

1 Like

Possibly you could add a persistent default setting to DVR for both: Home and Remote

That would solve for daughter. Although I’m not sure why she needs anymore choice at all, as IIRC she only has 1 DVR running.

@d21mike can you detail what she has to enter each time to connect/reconnect?

@DebbieFL - Not exactly sure what you mean? IIRC?

The idea is she can use her DVR for TVE except for OTA Channels. I.E. LOCAL CHANNELS via Antenna. So, they could have a setting to pick either Home or Remote DVR based on what they want to watch. My daughter originally had Prime Cable Card's like I had until she moved and it no longer worked so has not been using her DVR that much. We tried an Antenna but could not pick up many channels in that location.

They would not need access to me if Channels supported the OTA Channels like CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX.

Her source is Hulu Live TV. At the moment it is simply easier to use Hulu Live TV App since it has everything. If she dropped here Channels DVR and just access mine then that is putting a bit too much load on my system if use a lot.

The other idea is if am there and want to connect to my DVR instead of hers on the Apple TV it is more difficult to do since it is not easy to switch DVR's.

Lastly my Daughter is the only one with Channels DVR's. I have 3 others that actually have a Synology NAS but they do not have an Antenna and don't plan to add one. So, have been looking for solutions. My mother-in-law does not have a DVR so when I am there I just connect to mine but was thinking of setting her up with a NAS and Channels but she would not have an Antenna either. Recently she lost CBS (and one other) from AT&T so she used Channels to access mine.

Again, just saying if they are putting effort into the Settings Page for DVR Access it would be nice to be able to easily select which DVR you want to use. Years ago before Channels I had the FiOS Whole Home DVR's. We had 2. One with my name and one with my wife's name. We could easily see both on every TV. We could simply pick which one to use. It was pretty simple.

IIRC - If I recall correctly.

Some recordings on now until 5PM (est)...I’ll get back to you after that and I retest with “At Home” and “Remote”.

I haven’t used in awhile, but “if I remember correctly”, it was a seamless process already to choose one or the other with only 1 DVR.

It was sometime back when I was testing remote access so maybe things are different now. But thought there was a Connect to DVR in the settings then. But maybe only if it did not find a local one. Not important now.

Right now it is pretty easy to connect remotely. You just have to approve on your phone or computer. However, I did not have a local dvr so not sure what I have to do if go back and forth. I would only want to authorize once. It would just be easy to add both and then "simply" select either one. I do assume this is probably a low priority since not many people have more than 1 dvr especially local and remote options.

Exactly what I was planning on testing after 5EST. Almost positive it is currently the process. Easy

P.S. There are now several other users using 2 DVRs

I've been using multiple DVRs for a long time, just be aware that accessing both remotely can be a pain because it defaults to port 8089. I've written instructions for the current method of dealing with this...

(Should only be necessary for remote login)

• In the web ui check manual port forwarding box and turn on
  • In you router settings create a new port forward with internal port 8089 and external of your choice (for this example I'll use 8088)
  • on your device follow the normal login procedure, you will get an error message when the webpage loads.
  • With the error messages displayed scroll to the end of the url in the address bar and add &port=8088 then press enter.
  • You should now be presented with an "authorize" button, click it
  • The app should now be connected to your remote DVR.

Thanks @JMcGuire I believe I read this before. My main question is the switching between the two DVR's. In you case going from 8088 and 8089. I assume you just have to change the "Connect to DVR" in the Settings? Do you need to authorize each time or maybe only the first time? Also, when local when switching between the two you just put the ipaddress of each one? And have you need to have 1 local and 1 remote at the same location?

My point is that it would be nice to be able to put in the definition once and then easy select which DVR you want to connect too. Maybe even give them a shortcut name.

My use case for multiple DVR's is a bit different... I have three setup for different family members to keep recordings separate due to lack of multi-user support, therefore, switching between DVR's isn't something I deal with outside of testing.

That being said, there is no easy way to switch, and I agree it would be nice to be able to "name" a dvr and have the auth stored in the app. It would also be nice to edit the external port for a given DVR, to make authorization as easy as it is for the default 8089. Unfortunately there aren't enough people using multiple DVR's or different ports for it to be a high priority, and understandably it may be a while before we see any changes to the current situation.

I actually we use 2 DVR's for the same reason. My wife and I like to have separate DVR's. Would be easier if we had multi-user support. The problem for me is when I change from my primary tv to one of the others in the house that we share I loose "my" DVR since it is simply not worth the effort to switch. I do not have a real requirement to have access to both remotely.

Ok, I understand now. We still use only one DVR per household. I have my grandparents and parents on separated DVR's than my own. I would actually have done more, similar to your setup, but I knew we would run into the same issue you have wanting to switch DVR's the same way you would switch users.

Sorry I missed my 5EST to test.

By the later time when I was able to test, the DVR had already started more recordings for the day.

I’ll try again tomorrow :grinning:

Signed into remote from my iPad. Just had to click a couple of acceptances.
When I signed out of remote...my DVR was automatically connected to local.

Seems easy when running only 1 DVR service.

Was it easy to then go back to Remote? No need for acceptances? I assume just connect to "url:port"?

No, I did have to re-click acceptances

And that is the reason for having multiple DVR's defined (like multiple HDHR Sources) where you can select which one you want to use.

Thanks for testing.

1 Like