New Bluetooth Remote Option (Spectrum Siri Remote)

Just saw a new bluetooth remote option is being released with a guide button and media controls, has an accelerometer and back-lit keys. It doesn't seem like it will be available to purchase by end users. @tmm1 @maddox is this something you would consider looking into and possibly offer for sale to Channels users?

https://www.fiercevideo.com/tech/universal-electronics-launches-apple-tv-remote-for-mvpds

3 Likes

Looks like Spectrum is now offering this remote to its customers for $12. They list the Channel and Guide buttons as "exclusive" to their app. @tmm1 @maddox Thoughts on getting the to work with Channels?

https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/comments/o88un2/spectrum_offers_remote_for_apple_tv_4th/

https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/get-started-spectrum-tv-apple-tv/

1 Like

Salt has a “2.0” version of their original IR remote that is also now this design from Universal Electronics, with Bluetooth. I’d be very intrigued if the guide and channel navigation buttons work with Channels.

1 Like

I just received a few of these and love them, can't be beat for $12 (if you can find a way to get one through Spectrum).

Pros:

1. Bluetooth connection with voice
  2. Backlit buttons that slowly light up when the remote is moved
  3. Dedicated power button (same as the new Apple remote)
  4. Dedicated FF/RW and Channel Up/Down buttons
  5. Much larger than the old remote style and slightly larger than the newer style

Cons:

1. No touch/swipe controls (if you prefer that method)
  2. The "GUIDE" button is proprietary *
  3. Spectrum logo at the bottom of the remote

*@tmm1 are diagnostics able to capture the keypress from the guide button and if so could it be mapped with Channels?

1 Like

I received one today thanks to @johnluber. Will investigate this week to see if the other buttons can be integrated.

5 Likes

This is really cool- I have to see if I can get one somewhere

Support for this remote has been added in the next TestFlight beta build.

4 Likes

I assume this means you were able to map the Guide button? Has apple ever made it possible to launch a specific app with a bluetooth command?

1 Like

Awesome! I’ll try it ASAP. Thanks!

Hey @tmm1- finally got a chance to try this and it works nice! Thanks!

I had thought that the guide button should take you back to the main guide but I kind of like that it goes to the quick guide.

2 Likes

My Harmony remote finally died and I just got a few of these remotes as replacements and I'm loving it. @tmm1, any chance you can add the option for the Guide button to always go back to the main guide rather than the quick guide?

EDIT: Also, any chance to make the Rewind and Fast Forward buttons do skip forward and skip back? Right now they rewind and fast forward if you hold them down

1 Like

Where can you buy these? I’m in Canada.

I’ve picked up two on eBay. Got the 2nd just a couple weeks ago for ~$15 (new, box was beat up but remote brand new).

I got the first one for an ATV that didn’t have a remote for since I didn’t want to pay $60 for the Siri remote but after using both for a year I think I prefer the Spectrum. My comparison below..

Spectrum:

• Guide button
  • Channel up/down
  • More intuitive button layout
  • Siri/Mic button not on the side where it gets pushed accidentally
  • Backlit!
  • A little larger so doesn’t disappear into the couch cushions as often

Siri:

• Touch capability
  • Rechargeable

I sometimes miss the touch capability - mostly for scrubbing. (I remembered that I can scrub from my phone and it’s actually a better experience)

Pressing up/down on the D pad works for most functions that use swipe gestures. There was one app that lost some minor functionality without swipe but can’t recall what it was.

I’ve been using the Spectrum on the tv I use the most but recently swapped for the Siri to see for sure which I prefer. The touch capability is more of an annoyance to me since I’m always accidentally touching. Yeah, I know you can turn touch off and I’ve experimented with that but…at that point I may as well use the Spectrum.

Do you have a link for one off eBay? I can’t find it.

They only show up occasionally. And not always at a reasonable price. I saved the search and had it alert me when one shows up.

This is who I bought the last one from:

1 Like

Even though everything is accessible with the D-pad, I wish the dedicated Guide and FF/RW buttons functioned in Channels as I described above, as otherwise this remote is a pretty satisfactory replacement for my now dead Harmony. The only other button I’ll miss is the dedicated Up Next button I had programmed, but I can live without that one. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Regarding rew/ffw - I just wish those functions behaved the same in Channels with any remote as they do in other Apps where after a long press it will keep fast forwarding or rewinding until you press select/play/pause

It does until you release the button. FF/RW has been supported from the beginning ...

1 Like

That’s the point: I don’t want to have to keep holding the button. I don’t have to do so with Netflix or any other app…

Long press != press and HOLD.

To be clear: Not a huge deal

What was your search query?

1 Like