NEW: Channels for Android runs on Windows 11

I like to test Client settings on my laptop without having to test on my tv. Very convenient to have the Client and the browser on the same screen. Plus viewing the guide is much better than the browser. When browsing the guide on the web browser I never know what time i am looking at as the bar is not persistent.

Good point

2 Likes

Yeah, this is more of a user interface issue. I prefer an app and the navigation style it provides, over a web page designed primarily for administration. “Look and feel” is important to me.

4 Likes

On Bluestacks I setup the game controls to swipe L R U D to the arrow keys.

3 Likes

LOL, Windows 11 came out? I am a Mac guy for over a decade so I missed it. Last Windows I used was XP.

A year ago, out of the blue.

It sucks bad if you're used to the Win10 taskbar features. Think I'm switching to Linux in a couple years when Win10 support gets shut off. I'll simply keep a dual boot Win setup for the occasional golf or sports game I play.

The web interface is very different from the app interface. It also usually needs to transcode for the web player. Either gets the job done, but it's nice having an option that's "more normal" if you're used to the apps.

1 Like

You get automatic commercial skipping. That was the feature that moved me off of TIVO.

I had to sideload this. It did not show up in the Amazon Appstore app on Win11 for me, and when browsing through apps on amazon.com the site indicates that the Channels app is not compatible with my system (but is compatible with my Amazon FireTV). Sideloading was simple enough and app works just fine!

Instructions for those that run into the same issue here: How to sideload Android apps using WSA on Windows 11 | Windows Central

Not sure why the app doesn't show up directly on the app store for me.

4 Likes

Amazon pulled the app from their store because they want a cut of our subscription revenue.

1 Like

Not surprising to hear ... but after fighting their Home Screen to find content relevant to me, this is just another reason to never use an Amazon device ...

4 Likes

Does Apple provide developers with the ability to give their apps to consumers without charging some kind of fee?

1 Like

Yes:

Promo codes overview

1 Like

Channels DVR apple store app is based on promo codes? Please expand on this.

1 Like

No. I thought you were asking generically whether a paid app can be offered by a developer to certain customers without charge; promo codes is how that works.

Considering that the Channels DVR app for Apple devices is free, the specific case here is obviously "Yes, Apple allows developers to list their apps in the App Store for free."

However, to be a developer and be able to submit apps for inclusion in the App Store, a yearly fee is required. (I believe it is $100/yr.)

3 Likes

I'm trying to better understand Aman's aversion to the Amazon App store and how that affects the Channels DVR user base. As engineers, nearly every piece of software they use each day now has now moved to a yearly subscription fee, even if the software doesn't improve - so I'm not sure what Aman's argument is against the Amazon App store.

2 Likes

If you bothered to actually read through the forum or even use a basic search, you would see that the removal was on Amazon's behest.

Channels did nothing to remove their app from Amazon's platforms: Amazon pulled Channels from their platforms because they wanted a cut of their subscription revenue.

What do you mean by remove ... I see the Channels APP in the Amazon Store just updated it.