New DVR install - not 'discovered' by Android TV client

I recently have exploring DVR options and subscribed to the Channels DVR service to check it out.

I’ve installed on my linux box and can access the web interface from from the host (ip address) as well as my cellphone browser on my home network. I can schedule recordings and have manually recorded a program.

However, my Channels app on my Android TV box (MiBox) (just installed), doesn’t seem to have any DVR functionality enabled.

I’m guessing this has something to do with this Bonjour service.
I see this on the admin interface under the Bonjour service setting.
“Advertising dvr-myhostname.local. via 1 network: [192.168.x.xxx]”

This ‘dvr-myhostname.local.’ is not something resolvable on my network. I can use the ipaddress for accessing the web interface. Is that normal? Or is that a clue to why the Channel app client can’t find the dvr service?

Thanks for any info.

–lp

It should be resolvable… can you try a Bonjour browser to see if the service shows up?

Is the DVR installed in a container? Is there some sort of firewall installed on the Linux server?

I downloaded ‘ZeroConf Browser’ to my android phone. Thanks for that suggestion.
I see 4 services…all of which seem to be most likely from my MiBox Android TV device.

_ANDROIDTVREMOTE
_CHANNELS_APP
_GOOGLECAST
_SPOTIFY-CONNECT

The DVR is not installed in a container, it is installed on native CentOS 7.4.
The firewall is installed and enabled on this computer. These are the ports that are open.

ports: 65001/udp 65001/tcp 6543/tcp 6544/tcp 8089/tcp

I turn the firewall off and I do get see the bonjour service show up in the browser though!
When I checked the app, and restarted it, I see a DVR section that allows me to see the recorded movie, as well as ‘schedule’ section (which shows none, because none are scheduled).

Is there more firewall confguration needed than opening 8089/tcp ? I didn’t see anything else mentioned in the install instructions for Linux.

I do not see any controls to record or schedule a recording on the app though. Is that only done through the web gui for the service?

Thank you :wink: making progress :wink:

Yes you need to open port 5353 on TCP and UDP for bonjour access. I will update the instructions accordingly.

Correct, the app only allows for playback at the moment. More DVR features are being implemented.

Cool… thanks for the prompt feedback and help.

configured my firewall and restarted it, and it looks like I have the functions currently provided.

I have four fully functioning DVR solutions to compare now :wink: I have both a Firestick (gen2) and an ATV (MiBox) client. I’m hoping one will be suitable enough at some point to wean the rest of the family off a Spectrum DVR.

Thanks again!

–lp

Good luck. I hope Spectrum in your area does not apply DRM to any channels, because we’re not able to record of playback DRM’d channels. You can see if it says DRM next to any of your channels on the listing on https://my.hdhomerun.com

ugh, I know. That is something I’ll have to keep an eye on. There are 24 channels in my list that are DRMed. Only 5 or 6 of those do I consider watching.

This is likely a deal breaker if that comes to pass. I’d probably have to go the TiVo route if I want to avoid monthly box rentals from Spectrum.