NEW: DVR Server + Tailscale integration, for easier Away from Home access (Experimental)

How are you calculating these speeds?

Those settings on the client are specific just to that client.

There is a check mark next to the streaming setting that is currently being used. It should properly notice if you are on cellular, but if you are out of the house on different wifi, it may consider that "Home" right now instead of "Internet". This is something we're looking at how to address.

2 Likes

Using the "Test Speed to DVR Server" applet, in the client, under settings.

Awesome.

Okay...the checkmark was on Home and I could not manually change it.

1 Like

I appreciate once again the efforts of the developers who strive to constantly improve the offerings. I currently use Channels on a Synology NAS. I separately had installed Tailscale on the NAS a few months ago and have been using it to access my Channels DVR as needed. Would it be redundant to use this new feature within Channels?

1 Like

Yes, it would be redundant. This is an experimental feature to make the process easier for people who aren't comfortable installing the separate component.

3 Likes

I already have tailscale installed in my network. Subnet routers, exit nodes. It all works really well. Performance is really good. Tested channels a few times. Never had any issues.

1 Like

This is awesome news! I canā€™t wait to have this on the client side. This will solve my CGNAT and IPV6 problem Iā€™ve had.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been using Tailscale for awhile now. I have Tailscale and channels both installed on my synology. Since synology and channels share the same internal ip that was all that was needed to be up and running . Been using it for months now and itā€™s rock solid. Way way better than any port forwarding anyone could do (Iā€™m behind carrier nat so i canā€™t even port forward if i wanted).

This is a game changer addition for many. Iā€™m not sure i will change my setup only because i still need the synology Tailscale install for accessing other things on the synology so it would be a bit redundant in my case to have in installed twice - but this is the biggest addition to channels in awhile! Great work!

3 Likes

I assume you donā€™t have it on remote ATVsā€¦only on mobile devices

1 Like

No - when i travel i use a firestick because itā€™s small and easy and can load things like Tailscale onto it :crazy_face:.
If itā€™s essential though you could use an iPhone connected to Tailscale and throw the screen to your Apple TV.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s not retired mother friendly lol

3 Likes

pfSense has tailscale built in now. Can always swap out her router.

3 Likes

Help! I installed Tailscale on my devices but canā€™t figure out how to access a remote computer and run Channels.

3 Likes

I don't understand why I am having so much trouble getting remote access, with a T-Mobile 5G router.
I have done the Tailscale route previously and it would work about 5% of the time.
So today I enabled it in the pre-release server candidate.
It linked to my Tailscale account, gave me a new IP address and bingo, first remote viewing a success.
Moved to my iPad and no server found. Went back to my iPhone and no server found.
Two hours later it still won't work.
Confirmed via the Tailscale admin page all machines are connected.
Very frustrating.

2 Likes

Is my.channelsdvr.net loading (or the tailscale IP in a browser?)

4 Likes

Wow, this is so cool! Heck, thanks for even introducing me to tailscale. I've been using openvpn cloud but chafing against their 3 device limit.

2 Likes

Please submit diagnostics from the app after you see this.

3 Likes

I havenā€™t gone into the docs of Tailscale yet, but does anyone know if you can set your own dns in the tail network?

3 Likes

Yes see Tailscale

Submitted

1 Like

Hi,

first time user of Tailscale, but have used a number of various VPNs. I enabled the Tailscale in my DVR v2022.09.23.0124, and it registered the machine with a tailscale IP. When I enter this IP in the iOS Channels DVR beta 2022 (9.19.1823) app, I receive an error that the DVR server is not found at this IP address. I am connected via T-mobile's cellular network, and I can reach my DVR when I enter the tail scale IP into a browser on my iPhone.

5 Likes