NEW: DVR Server + Tailscale integration, for easier Away from Home access (Experimental)

Can you submit diagnostics after getting that error message

2 Likes

Hi there,

I am also using T-Mobile and cannot connect to the Channels server via cellular, however, it works perfectly over Wi-Fi away from home. I’m wondering if this could have anything to do with IPV6 implementation?

1 Like

Is anyone using this with their Channels DVR server running in a docker container on a bridge (not host) network?

1 Like

@Ahwman @mlooss Could you try the latest Testflight build and see if it improves the situation?

3 Likes

Just downloaded the latest TestFlight release and yes it is working now.

Awesome support, as always.

2 Likes

@Ahwman Are you using the latest Testflight beta? Please submit diagnostics from the app after you have this issue on the latest Testflight beta.

1 Like

Works like a champ! You guys are awesome… Thanks so much for all your hard work! :grinning:

1 Like

Let me rephrase that question.
Devs, will it work on a Channels DVR server running in a docker container on a bridge (not host) network?

I have 4 DVR servers on two Synology NAS's.
On each NAS, 1 runs using the Synology package at port 8089 and 1 runs from a Channels DVR docker container at port 8189 over a docker bridge network (172.18.0.0/16).

My thought was I could test this to see if I could access all 4 Channels DVR servers remotely from an iOS device running tailscale.

Yes, it will work. It is not clear to me how efficient it will be: I don't know if it will be able to bring up the peer-to-peer networking that will get you the best performance or not or if it will use their DERP proxy servers.

If run a /speedtest from your iPhone over Tailscale to those DVRs, what sort of speeds do you get?

1 Like

Thanks.
Was waiting for an answer before I created a tailscale account just to try it out.
If I have time tomorrow I'll give it a try, otherwise will be next weekend.
I'll definitely post back with my findings.
Will test with iPhone and iPad.

2 Likes

It does work connecting to both the Synology package install and the docker container install.
I can only access the web admin UI and /speedtest though.
The Channels DVR client won't connect using Connect At Home with the tailscale IP. Says server was not found at tailscale IP address. Maybe because the iPhone tailscale is using IPv6 and my router has IPv6 disabled?

/speedtest is similar for both servers on a weak (2/4 bars) 4G LTE connection from home and Xfinity 500/15 Internet

Download  8.49 Mbps | Latency 68.20 ms | Jitter 12.26 ms (Synology package)
Download 10.16 Mbps | Latency 69.69 ms | Jitter 12.75 ms (Docker container w/bridge network)

Will try when away from home next weekend.

2 Likes

Are you using the latest iOS TestFlight beta?

No, loaded release v5.5.3

tailscale machine details for iphone

Client connectivity
Varies: Yes
Hairpinning: No
IPv6: Yes
UDP: Yes
UPnP: No
PCP: No
NAT-PMP: No

tailscale machine details for synology channels dvr

Client connectivity
Varies: No
Hairpinning: No
IPv6: No
UDP: Yes
UPnP: No
PCP: No
NAT-PMP: No

Update to the latest TestFlight beta to fix the connection issue.

1 Like

Geez, I thought I was getting the unadvertised special when my download came through as the unadvertised release v5.5.3. Will try next weekend with the latest test flight.

I think the release notes need updated

2 posts were split to a new topic: DVR network interface binding

OK, did a quick test with 9.25.455 on iPhone over cellular and am able to connect the TestFlight client to my servers and stream.
Thanks, Great job!

Only issue I have is it's hard to tell which tailscale IP I'm connected to as it gets cutoff looking at Settings on my iPhone and the app doesn't rotate that to landscape when the phone is rotated.
Looks like this
Channels DVR
Connected: XXX.XXX.XXX.... (That's 4 dots)

This should better detect when you're on a Tailscale connection on WiFi and not consider it being At Home.

1 Like

Running 2022.09.30.0154 on Mac Mini server. Have Tailscale enabled and connected. Using the most recent TestFlight build of Channels on my phone and iPad. I can’t connect to the Tailscale IP address. “Channels DVR Sever not found at XXX.XX.X.XX” Any ideas?

2 Likes

You will have to install Tailscale app on your iPhone