NEW: DVR Server + Tailscale integration, for easier Away from Home access (Experimental)

Haven't been able to get it to work on my Apple TV yet. I've installed version 5.5.5 on my Apple TV. Where do I access the QR code? There is no debug menu under settings? Many thanks.

Only available in beta

1 Like

Thanks so much. When do you expect it to come out of beta (no precise date needed, but more like "before year end" or "Q1 of 2023", something like that). Fully understand if you can't give a timeframe. How do you become part of the beta program? Love this feature.

1 Like

I am not sure about the timing, but the beta program for the apps is discussed here...

To install the dvr beta on your server, download the beta dvr software by hitting the down arrow on the Channels DVR Settings page. The version is found at the top and you will see a "Check for update" button. Hit the down arrow and select "Check for pre-release".

1 Like

Thanks GeorgiaOkie! I got it up and running on my AppleTV.

For the devs: when I am remote live channels works perfectly, however recorded content will not play on my Apple TV. Note I don’t have this problem on my iPhone when I play content through Tailscale.

The error message reads:

“Failed to download file: http://:8089/dvr/files/8416/hls/stream.m3u8/stream0.ts?abitrate….”

The ip address is from Tailscale. The log simple reads: “starting encoder for…” and then the next entry, after erroring out, reads “stopped encoder for …”

I suspect it has to do with the encoder. When I select in experimental options “HEVC encoder” nothing works on the Apple TV or iPhone when using tailscale.

Thanks so much

Please update to the latest TestFlight beta for the fix.

Thanks. I updated to the latest beta version but still get the same error. Thanks for your support

Please go to Settings -> Support -> Submit Diagnostic Logs from your device and let us know when it's been submitted so we can have a better idea of what was going on.

Tailscale works great but as others have noted or discovered, performance is pretty poor. You lose a lot of thoroughput running over the Tailscale VPN connection unfortunately. I have to reduce my stream quality to 1Mbps (ugh) to be reliable when streaming this way otherwise the buffering and stopping/skipping is too onerous. I have found that performance in general on Tailscale is not very good - even when a "direct" or "hairpin" on the same router but a different interface etc. It just takes a huge performance hit no matter what you do, and that sucks, but at least it works. I don't do the remote streaming this way very often, but it does work when needed, even if the quality is sub-optimal at 1Mbps streams.

To put in perspective, on the same physical ethernet interface, gigabit transfer with no TS VPN. Once Tailscale is used, the max performance drops for me to around 170 megabits. That is a heck of a drop. Once it goes to a different interface it drops to only 1-2 (!) megabit of performance effectively. It's pretty terrible. Obviously this isn't the Channels developers fault and I appreciate the Tailscale stuff for simplicity and ease of use but it is most certainly NOT a performance VPN solution by any stretch of the imagination. Eventually I will probably setup a dedicated Wireguard direct site-to-site VPN and just connect a travel router on the other side when needed, as Wireguard native performance is substantially superior in all aspects.

Tailscale uses Wireguard. Are these performance numbers using the native Tailscale server and client, or using our embedded versions?

1 Like

I'm using the native TailScale server and client; I have not enabled nor used the built-in experimental TailScale stuff in Channels DVR. Though I wouldn't expect performance to be dramatically different in either scenario. TailScale suffers from a large performance problem in general due to the Wireguard Go! implementation (as opposed to having native kernel driver access) which greatly limits and reduces the overall thoroughput of the VPN possible.

I have been using Tailscale with my Qnap Server and Tivo Stream 4K for quite a while. I have traveled to Prince Edward Island in Canada and Nova Scotia using Starlink and LTE via a ConnectT 2.0 in the states. I also traveled to Iowa using LTE only. I have a cheap Spectrum 300M down 10M up internet at home. I use 3M on my main TV and 2M on my bedroom which always seems to drop to 1M. The Main TV is nearly perfect on HD. The bedroom is very good and I can always move the stream speed up if needed. I have no signal drops and can watch anything. I have seen locations where LTE isn't good. I do not have 5G. But StarLink is always perfect. I would suggest you check your router/modem. FYI, I am not using the developer's integration since I need to reach my server for security cams, WX station and Smartlink hub. Hope you get it going. It is truly a great thing for RV-er's.

Yes I get that same rate around 7-9Mbps on some TailScale clients but other times it is lucky to sustain 2-3 megs. So typically I set a default 1Mbps stream rate on all devices and scale up from there as the connection permits. Honestly on a lot of screens 1Mbps works just fine, I don't need high quality.

1 Like

Would this work for self hosted Headscale servers with Tailscale clients?

1 Like

Not at this time.

Any chance the Magicdns device name can be displayed (now that it's generally available) so I can see which node I'm connected to, or maybe widen the display field so the tail IP 100.100.100.XXX fully displays?

Thank you! This solves some issues with Tailscale that I had been experiencing behind the T-Mobile Home network.

My previous workaround was to use the Channels server as an exit node, which was clumsy and slow at times. This is so much better!

1 Like

I'm behind the dumbed down T-Mobile can. Tailscale is on and configured in Channels DVR. I also have Tailscale on my phone (S20 Android) with the same account as I have with Channels. Tailscale lists dvr-synologyds220 with an IP address. I try to connect At Home from the phone app and get the following message: A Channels DVR server was not found at IP x.x.x.x.I tried the IP of the NAS server itself. No luck. Tailscale also lists synologyds220 with an IP. Tried that too. No luck. I even tried putting the port number :8089 after the IPs. No luck.

I've tried this both on WiFi when not at home and on cell only when at home. I keep getting the same error message. I've read here that others with T-Mobile home internet got it working. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Diagnostics submitted 9:10am CST.

Got it working. I had Tailscale running on the Synology. Stopped it. Tried again on phone and it connected.

Something must be different with your setup.
I'm able to have my Synology Tailscale package running and Channels DVR Tailscale enabled and access either of them. Connecting to the Channels DVR Tailscale IP I don't add the port :8089. Connecting to the Synology Tailscale IP I have to add the port :8089.
I'm able to switch back and forth between them.

iPhone with latest Channels for iOS beta (11.10.2046)
All Tailscale versions are 1.32