NEW: DVR Server + Tailscale integration, for easier Away from Home access (Experimental)

@tmm1 @eric @maddox

I had a bunch of crashes on the beta iOS client and submitted diagnostics.

I was trying to switch connecting with my Mac mini Tailscale ip verses the integrated channels dvr ip address.

I inadvertently had not enabled the integrated Tailscale ip and was switching between both those when i had a bunch of crashes.

2 Likes

Any chance of getting the Android client to use the "Internet Streaming" profile when using the Tailscale client over Wifi? (Currently it recognizes it as "Home" based on the checkmark)

2 Likes

You have to change the home bitrate in settings.

1 Like

Right, I understand that - but I'm asking if this can be fixed in the android client (buying time until the team is able to work on integrating Tailscale into the Channels app in the same manner as iOS)

1 Like

Cool command - ./tailscale status --web --listen 0.0.0.0:8384 but when I run it on my channel server (pi based) - I see nothing..

It seems like tailscale is running but a separate instance that support the dvr server.. If I run tailscale status it says logged out...

Yes tailscale is running - accessible and all that...

How do I enable tailscale web access for the instance that is supporting the channels server?

You can see yourself in the screenshot

I can't speak for the channel server tailscale implementation as I run the web server on my Unraid server's tailscale docker instance. Perhaps that feature is not enabled in the channel version?

1 Like

I need remedial help. I enabled tailscale on my remote DVR server running on a Windows machine. I am using an AppleTV as my local client running a beta version of the tvOS software. How do I switch from my local server to my remote server running tailscale? Should Bonjour be enabled on the remote DVR that is running tailscale (currently it is disabled)?

1 Like

Does this not work?

Not sure if this post means you need to set it up first time when the Apple TV is local to your server?

I’m a bit fuzzy on the exact steps pertaining to “ This will allow you to connect an Apple TV remotely via Tailscale, and use Channels on iOS without Tailscale VPN app installed.” I did all the previous steps from the post you referenced. I just don’t know how to connect remotely via Tailscale.

Not sure on an Apple TV (don't have one). On my iPhone, I just select connect at home and use the tailnet IP of my Channels DVR Server.

Did you get a QR code to scan? (Not sure how that works or what you scan it with)

1 Like

Yes, I scanned the QR code displayed on my appletv. But since you are using an iPhone, I will try with mine. Is the DVR server you are using with tailscale local or remote?
From my iPhone, using the beta client, I chose At Home and then typed the IP address provided by tailscale for my remote DVR server. I received “Channels DVR Server was not found at xxx.xxx.xxx.xx”

Works for me both remotely over cellular and locally over wifi.
Make sure you have your Channels DVR tailscale enabled and logged in.

Experimental [x] Direct Tailscale Integration
Remote DVR > Tailscale VPN Off [On] Connected: 100.x.x.x :gear: Manage will show what's connected to your tailnet

Did you go into this menu?

1 Like

Yes, I'm not the one having an issue. Works for me.
The only way to get to that setting is to somehow be connected first though. Catch 22

When you use the built-in Tailscale on your DVR Server and connect from your client, you select Connect at Home and key in the tailnet IP of your server, without the :port#.
So 100.100.100.100
Not 100.100.100.100:8089

Yes and I made that selection

1 Like

I finally got it to work. I’m not exactly sure what the problem was. I may have needed to wait for a short period of time before all the setting propagated across the net. I also updated the remote DVR server to the latest beta build. Thanks for all your help!

Just to be sure I’m doing this right: every time I want to switch between my local and remote DVR server, I have to enter the IP address (lan and tailscale, respectively) using the At Home option?

Correct

Did you get it working on the Apple TV?

One thing I noticed that is very cool.
Connect at Home via tailnet IP with my iPhone using cellular and wifi turned off.
Then turn wifi on and the app switched to my local DVR Server IP address.
Turn wifi off and it switched back to the tailnet IP.

If this is a bug, don't fix it!

1 Like

Yup and thank you for your help!

1 Like