NEW: Experimental GPU deinterlacing on Apple TV 4K

Although this is moot for me because Comcast now transcodes everything except The Weather Channel to 720p... this is still great! And it will certainly help a lot while watching SD channels.

(If for whatever reason you're looking for more video processing feature requests... judder reduction for 24fps content on 30fps TVE channels would be really cool)

1 Like

I had been using an Nvidia Shield TV Pro since before this new deinterlacing method came to be, with my Apple TV 4K packed away in storage now while my new house is being built. Would you say this new method is comparable to the outstanding deinterlacing that we see on the Shield TV?

1 Like

Also, not for nothing, but the newer ATV4K actually has worse metal benchmarks than the outgoing one (which seems insane). Might be worth spec'ing out.

Hey all. I'm checking in on this. For anyone who has used Channels on the Shield TV and the Apple TV 4K (preferably the 2021 version), how does this experimental deinterlacing compare to that of the Shield TV for 1080i channels? I had experienced some shimmering/flickering of on screen graphics when using the original deinterlacing on my Apple TV 4k way back. It wasn't terrible, but I could never find anyone commenting on if this new experimental deinterlacing method eliminated that.

I have an older Apple TV 4K and can’t compare directly to a Shield, but in my experience the Experimental deinterlacing is significantly better than the old “Linear” deinterlacing option and buttery smooth.

I also used to experience some flickering, particularly on NBC’s Sunday Night Football score bug. Experimental deinterlacing eliminated that for me.

1 Like

Excellent. Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

This is fantastic. Looks great!

1 Like

In the latest TestFlight beta we have made this GPU deinterlacer the default.

What content would the improvements be noticeable in, Interlaced DVB content via the hdhomerun ?

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

FYI, stats show the setting as experimental while it’s set to hardware. Diagnostics submitted. Thanks.

Looks :ok_hand: was the reason we went with channels and paid the subscription!

Just tried the hardware deinterlacing mode with my Apple TV HD, and it drops tons of frames with the audio lagging behind the video. Now that I read the post, I notice that it says “5th generation Apple TV HD”. Mine is the original Apple TV HD, and I didn’t know there was ever any updates to that model (besides the remote) - is this in fact the case? In any case, it doesn’t seem like the hardware deinterlacing should be enabled on Apple TV HD, at least the original model…

Okay thanks for trying it out. We'll leave Linear as the default on Apple TV HD then, but add the Hardware option.

Does Hardware work any better if you also switch to Video Driver: Experimental?

No - using the Experimental drivers makes no difference. Video is still jerky and lags behind the audio. It may work on lower-res interlaced content, though not anything 1080i. Also, I should note that I have a similar experience watching 1080 ATSC3 content on the Apple TV HD - it just can’t keep up. 4K model works fine on both, so it seems like a matter of having not enough GPU or CPU power.

Is this working on newer Apple TV HD models (I.e. ones with the new remote included)? If so, I’m guessing they must have a better GPU - ideally you’d just restrict Hardware model to those, but if not possible what you suggest makes sense.

Any likeleyhood in adjusting the terminology used with the video drivers menu for us European users? 30fps/60fps > 25fps/50fps

It does adjust already if a UK model HDHomeRun is detected.

1 Like

Ah not using HDHomeRun - thanks for the info though.

I noticed that the new version gives me the choice of Hardware (default), Linear, and Blend on my Apple TV 4K, but just Linear (default) and Hardware on the Apple TV HD. On the Apple TV HD, Hardware is unwatchable, being laggy to the point where the audio is way ahead of the video.

Did you mean to hide the Hardware mode and only offer Linear and Blend as options on Apple TV HD instead of hiding Blend as the new version does? I’m not sure why Blend is no longer offered on Apple TV HD, and it makes no sense to allow Hardware with the performance I’m seeing (unless newer Apple TV HDs work well with hardware and there is no way to tell apart).

1 Like

Ugh yes that is a bug

1 Like