New HDHomerun Prime

I saw that Silicon Dust is selling a new HDHomerun Prime. My apologies if this is an overly obvious question, but what has been upgraded on this new soon to be released model? Curious if it is worth selling my current model and upgrading. Thanks everyone!

It’s exactly the same.

As maddox mentioned, it's the same as the old one. They started selling it again because the FCC ruled that cable companies are no longer required to support cablecards (no announcements yet on any phase outs, and cable companies have lots of them in their own devices). So I think they probably shelved their new six tuner model and just dusted off the 3 tuner one to keep selling until they are obsolete.

No, they canceled the 6 tuner because their development kept getting pushed back again and again. Then they said they "found" a couple thousand more of the discontinued SoCs that the original Prime used, so decided to do a "limited run" of the original Prime which already had all of its certifications. (The new Prime 6 was never even submitted for certification. Perhaps the new run of the original Prime was to placate the users that they'd been stringing along for years with the promise that the Prime 6 was "coming soon".)

3 Likes