NEW: Improved Apple TV support for HDMI-CEC and Bluetooth remotes

Last channel was fixed this morning with an update.

You can go to live tv by entering a channel number. Did you mean via the hot key?

Yes. Live tv doesnā€™t work from a hot key watching a Dvr recording

Cool yeah, cause it doesnā€™t bother if itā€™s already playing. Weā€™ll look into it. :+1:

1 Like

Might have to break that out. Iā€™m using the Harmony companion, but the number buttons are way too small and not backlit

I just broke out the old harmony hub that has been collecting dust and tried this out. Works great!!!

Does anyone know how to improve the slight delay with the button presses? I have it connected via Bluetooth to the hub, would IR be a better option - maybe a little more responsive? I tried adjusting the delays but they didnā€™t seem to help much. I mainly notice the delay when using the page up/down to scroll through the guide.

Second minor item, Iā€™m not even sure Iā€™d possible with the Apple TV. Can we map a button to instantly start recording a show? Iā€™d love to be able to use the record button on my harmony remote while viewing a program and have it start recording.

Thatā€™s what this whole feature and post is all about. Check out the OP.

Yep, use this mapping:

1 Like

Nice!!! I missed the part about adding a Windows PC as a device so those options show up. Thank you!

This should work on the latest beta

I am using the harmony iOS app to configure an elite remote. The app seems to think that the windows pc is Bluetooth and expects to pair with it.

If I assign a button to a windows key the remote says the device needs to be paired in the app.

Has anyone else come across this?

Thanks

Go to the Devices menu, select Windows computer and then click a dpad button. If it asks to pair, go ahead and re-pair with your Apple TV

No joy. Still getting the ā€˜You have to use the Harmony App to pair this deviceā€™ message on the Elite touchscreen if I try one of the buttons Iā€™ve mapped to a windows pc key.

Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve missed something obvious.

Steps taken:
In Harmony iOS App
Added Harmony Pro BT Apple TV 4 device
Added Windows Computer device
Created new Activity with TV, Apple TV and Windows Computer
Set Apple TV input to App 1 Top Shelf (where Channels lives)
EDIT: chose Watch Apple TV instead of Watch PC
Synced Activity
Edited Activity
Customised Remote buttons as per your OP
Synced Activity again

I've tested a bunch of remotes now and have customized my Harmony remote to take advantage of the new functionality. Just wanted to say, I'm overjoyed by this feature. It came a month after I dove in head first (switching from TiVo after 20 years) and am so impressed by the Channels developer team. This makes the overall UX of the Channels app so much better. For those people who love the tvOS and love Channels but don't necessarily love the Siri remote -- this feature is an absolute game-changer.

It also seems to be working perfectly with my testing (on a Sony and a Samsung TV, at least, with the commands that are supported. Their CEC implementations are... different.)

I'm testing everything I can and I'll post here if I come across any issues. I'm excited for more people to learn about this functionality! And I'm excited to see what else the Channels dev team have up their sleeves. Keep up the great work!

3 Likes

@Fofer Which remote have you settled on as the go to. I have a pile of them and none seem to get me all the way there. The Sony is brilliant with Channels, but can't get it to turn the Apple TV off and on. I've learned to live with the SIri remote, but it lacks buttons. Voice, scrubbing, and functions of the TV key keep me picking it up. The cheap One for All Streamer is the one my wife uses. I have a Harmony Elite and Caavo both on the bench right now. Both are two expensive to buy for all our TVs, so I've been resistant to going that way. I was looking at the cheaper Harmony Companion or Smart Control, and also Sofabaton, as options. What have you tried and have you settled on anything as the daily driver?

I've tried so many over the years. After extensive testing I came to realize that the Harmony Elite was overkill for my needs and I didn't like how frequently I had to charge it. I also didn't like its overall ergonomics or button placement. As far as "universal remote" goes, my favorite remains the Harmony 650. (The 665 is its successor and can handle 10 devices, instead of 8.) The 700 came with rechargeable batteries, thatā€™s the only difference.

On the downside, is IR-based, which means it needs line-of-sight for control, and my AppleTV is inside a cabinet, but I got a USB-powered IR extender that solved that problem.

On the plus side it is extremely customizable (see my photo of the favorite channels above.) I also have it controlling the Hue Sync entertainment lights that are behind my TV. This remote is also ergonomically perfect for my needs. Best of all, it lasts 6-9 months on a pair of AA batteries.

I use the Harmony when I am switching between devices, and sometimes with AppleTV, but I keep the Siri remote around too when I need its exclusive functionality. I also enjoy the TiVo remote (programmed to control the AppleTV and Channels) but it's very limited in overall functionality. Just the basics. But it feels great in the hand.

That said, the Harmony 650 is the best overall universal remote for my needs, and it's remained in that spot for a very, very long time. That I got it for $30 was icing on the cake.

I also know that everybody's preferences and priorities are different. My point with my post is that this new feature the devs added has opened up doors for so many other viable remote alternatives for Channels users to enjoy. That it's coming with an unexpected update to the app I recently adopted as my new live TV and DVR solution, is wonderful.

Just tried my LG magic remote The 4 colored buttons work(colors donā€™t match commands) up down and numbers donā€™t work

2 Likes

HI

Can someone tell me how to setup this new feature and what remote I can use with my Apple TV and Vizio TV.

I am confused as to how to make this work I only have a Bluetooth Keyboard attached to my Apple TV ?

Thanks

Does your Vizio remote have colored buttons? Do they work?

I bought a Sofabaton U1 on the recommendation here. It was a bit tricky to set up (doesnā€™t give any indication on the remote that it is in pairing mode) but it is mostly working now and think itā€™ll be great for a family member who finds the Siri remote awkward to use with Channels.

I am seeing some confusing behavior on the Recordings screen, however.

1. With the recording list focused, if I press the down arrow key on the remote, it scrolls all the way to the bottom of the list; if I press the up arrow, it scrolls all the way to the top. This doesnā€™t happen in other lists, just in Recordings, or with the Siri remote.

2. If Iā€™m in the menu and press the right arrow key, the menu closes and immediately reopens.

HI

Yes it does have The colored keys do they work I do not know, I have not used it until now I mostly use an IR universal remote.

But I was able to put it into to pairing mode on the apple tv and it does see it it asks me to enter the pin code I enter it, but the problem is after entering the PIN # it says to press RETURN or Enter. I do that put all it does is Fail I do not know what enter key it could be besides the one that is labeled on the remote.

This is the remote Model Vizio VUR10

Thanks