NEW: Improved Apple TV support for HDMI-CEC and Bluetooth remotes

I would so love a record button!

My original Samsung remote doesn’t have a record button though, so I have nothing to teach my Harmony. I have an IR-based Harmony 650, it is not hub-based but works perfectly for my needs. Perhaps, would it be possible to add the “Record” command as an option to the list of available shortcuts for the color / f keys? For example, it this were to be possible, people like me could assign the Red button to “Record” and joyous celebrations would erupt across the land.

You can add a Windows device like in the first post and get a record button on the Harmony.

This is an awesome addition! Thanks!

Few observations:

• In the guide if I’m navigating by paging the last page up button should take me to the very first item in the list, but if it can’t page up it just stops at the item and won’t go to the first item
  • same as above but with page down.
  • Paging only works in the list, but it would be really nice to also work in the Library, specifically when I go to the All Movies section and there’s 1201 items there.
2 Likes

I've also noticed that paging in the guide isn't always precise. Sometimes 1 channel gets missed in between each 'page'.

I believe that’s only for Hub-based Harmony remotes. Mine is an IR-based Harmony 650.

Ah yeah, my 650 died years ago and went to the Hubs. It was great while it was alive.

You do not pair the remote with your Apple TV. Use it with your TV directly and enable the CEC setting on your TV. The buttons on your TV remote should control the Apple TV.

This feature is available in the v4.0.1 update which is available via the App Store now.

Has anyone had any luck programming the app functions keys on the One for All Streamer to Guide, Live, etc. I am using the "learn" function to teach other keys to do things, but these keys seem to be ignoring what they are taught. I did program the red power key to Guide and the * key to Live and they work. Their website said it is possible and I called their support line and he also said it should work. Was hoping to use those 4 keys for Guide, Live, Library, etc.

I have a Samsung 4K TV, Sonos Soundbar, Apple TV 4K and Tivo Roamio. For the life of me, I cannot get HDMI-CEC working with the Samsung TV. Volume control works just fine as soundbar is connected via HDMI ARC, but I cannot control the Apple TV 4K. I'm confused as to what I might be missing, it seems like a setting.

In addition, I have the Tivo Roamio Remote, Harmony 700 and Samsung remotes. On my Samsung TV, I only have "HDMI CEC" on and off, nothing to search for or anything else. On the Apple TV 4k, I enabled HDMI CEC, but not for audio (since Samsung TV is handling that portion).

Any thoughts?

So the DPAD on your Samsung remote doesn't control movement on your Apple TV?

Well, it all magically started working. I had to disable and re-enable several times on both Apple TV and Samsung tv and it just started magically working.

I still have not figured out how to get the Apple TV to go to sleep when I power off the Sony TV with the Sony remote. The All for One Streamer does this, so I'm guessing that its sending something to both the TV and Apple TV to make that happen, or sending to just the Apple TV and the Sony's CEC is turning it off. What I have noticed is that every once in a while I find the TV off and the Apple TV asleep when I didn't turn it off. It is usually when Channels DVR has a show paused I think, but need to pay more attention. When I hit power, the TV comes on and Apple TV wakes right up. So not sure what is triggering that, but it gives me hope of fixing it.

In the mean time, I've been able to program the One for All to do a few more things... Guide to the red power button, Live to the * button, Channels up/down, and the Back button for last channel. This is close to good stuff now. What I can't figure out how to do is program the 4 channel function keys. The documentation and their tech support person say they can learn a key from another remote; but I can't get that to work. They an be taught macros, but only from the keys that are already programmed on the remote which doesn't help me with the colored function keys on the Sony remote.

Did you manage to resolve this? I’m having the same issue. Tried deleting things and starting again, but still no joy.

Open the Harmony app on your phone, go to Devices > Windows Computer and click one of the dpad keys. It should walk you through the pairing process.

Yeah that was my problem too initially, but only with the Elite. In the activity for your Apple TV I had to make sure the connectivity was set to the Windows device and not the Harmony Pro BT Apple TV 4.

Thanks both, managed to get this working eventually with your tips. Seems like it couldn't be connected to both the "Harmony Pro BT Apple TV 4" and the "Windows Computer" at the same time. So just added the "Windows Computer" to my old "Apple TV" activity and ensured it was connected to the "Windows Computer". This allowed me to use both "Apple TV" remote commands along with "Windows Computer" ones.

Loving the ability to jump to Recording and Guide!!

All the new features work great on my Sony TV with the Sony remote. Well done.

But my girlfriend prefers the Siri Remote and I can't find a way to control Channel UP and Channel Down with it. Could someone help?

1 Like

How would you control channel up/down with a remote (Siri Remote) that has so few buttons?

You said that everything is working from your Sony remote. Are you able to get the Apple TV to go to sleep when you power off the Sony TV with the Sony remote? That is the one thing that has eluded me.

Are you able to get the Apple TV to go to sleep when you power off the Sony TV with the Sony remote? That is the one thing that has eluded me.

Maybe just set the AppleTV to "sleep after 15 minutes" (this is under General settings) as a pretty good workaround?