New install guides?

Is there a step by step user's guide. I worked through the issues in getting it setup and functioning on a dedicated windows 10 computer with 8TB external drive.

Now I am somewhat clueless. I apologize if this is dense, but I feel like I am missing something.

How do I access the recordings from another computer on the network?

What restrictions am I facing?

I bought the HRHomerun Quad.

Can I record 4 shows at once? More?

Can I access the system while recording.

If multiple people are trying to watch different things, do they enter something unique?

We have 2 Chromecast units

one Firestick

one Apple TV

We have multiple premium services from Spectrum, but none show up. Do I also need the HDHomerum Prime box and a card, I assume rented from Spectrum?

How do I add other sources, like netflix, Hulu etc?

There must be simple answers. I may have missed a user's guide, but I need guidance to use any of this.

1 Like

Install the dvr from getchannels.com/dvr-server#windows

On your PC you will select your hdhomerun and enter your zip code. You can also click Add Source there and enter your cable account.

On your Apple TV and FireTV install the free app Channels DVR from the App Store. It will connect yo your PC automatically and show your channels and recordings

1 Like

I will try to work through those first steps and see if it becomes more clear. Your responses to other questions from users got me through a number of issues last night, and I do appreciate your help. it was especially helpful regarding the manual fix for the flow issues.

I did get the dvr set up early this morning, and have been recording (hopefully).

I apologize, but I am not certain how to "select my hdhomerun" on a PC. I will play with it a bit. "Adding a source" may fix the problem I had trying to gain access through an iphone that only showed five seemingly bogus channels from the HDhomerun. The DVR recognized spectrum channels, but nothing else did.

Thank you!

I will do my best

Jim

In the apps you may need to ensure the Guide and On Now are filtered to All or HD.

Or you can go to the settings tab in the app and mark channels as favorited.

Have you installed the Channels DVR app on your Apple TV and Fire TV?

I need to apologize. I have lived on my devices for years, and feel at least stronger than average. I am normally functioning at tech support for friends and coworkers. It should not be this hard. I know I am missing something, that once covered, I will be flying. I am somehow completely lost. I guess I will just swallow my pride, and ask questions.

I am presently on another PC on the network. How do I access the DVR and recorded programs?

Also, when I try to download the app for apple or android, they want to charge a significant amount. Again, I feel I must have missed something.

Thank you in advance for your patience!

Jim

Open a browser and enter: http://x.x.x.x:8089 replacing the x.x.x.x with the IP address of your Channels DVR Server.

When you search for the App, choose the free one. The paid version is not what you want if you are running Channels DVR Server on a PC/NAS.

On the PC where the DVR is installed, open http://127.0.0.1:8089 and click Support > Submit Diagnostics at the top right

I did submit it a few minutes ago. Thank you!

I can successfully login from my other computers using the instructions I was sent.

Can I set up or cancel a recording from one of the other computers without messing up my dvr server?

I will next try to install the android and apple apps

Thank you!

Jim

I just loaded the Channels - Live TV app on the iphone while on wireless at home. Does it automatically connect remotely when away, or do I need to set something else up. I entered the IP when asked, without the :8089 included. It seems to work properly.

I really like the work you have all done this is really solid! I will continue working through the process.

I will try the android, then the Firestick and Apple TV.

Three pending questions - Important.

How do I add Netflix, Hulu etc?

How do I add existing recorded items I have in-house?

• Specific Folder, separate from the others?

• Can I use a video with a .ts suffix or do I need to convert it, and if so what format and settings?

We're gaining on it! Thank you!

Jim

It won't mess it up. It will just set up or cancel a recording on the DVR server.

Install the Channels DVR app instead. The Live TV app is for directly accessing an HD HomeRun device. The Channels DVR app connects to the DVR server.

[quote="JHFoust, post:10, topic:23270"]
Does it automatically connect remotely when away, or do I need to set something else up. [/quote]

Enable remote access via the web page: on the Settings tab, scroll down to "Remote DVR".

Channels DVR is not for on demand streaming services like Netflix. However it does support several livestreaming TV services, like Hulu Live TV. You'll find them listed on the Settings tab: click the "+ Add source" button, then "TV Everywhere", then select a provider and enter your login credentials.

Channels DVR currently supports only movies. TV shows and personal videos can be added, but you won't automatically get posters and meta data for those. There's a whole thread on this, but basically put those on a separate directory on the server, then select that directory from the Settings page under "Local Content". Channels supports mpg files.

Channels DVR on Firestick returned the error that the server could not be discovered.

I could not work around it.

It Suggested https://getchannels.com/install b ut that seems to be general info.

If it doesn't connect automatically, go to Settings > DVR > Connect to Channels DVR > At Home and then manually enter the server IP address.

Got it done by clicking "Try Again" (I think) which took me to the settings menu. It
worked. Thank you!

The computer I used to set up the DVR has worked well all weekend, then went into a multi-hour update this morning. I logged in to the DVR remotely from another computer on the network, and stopped two recordings in process since the computer was rebooting multiple times. I trust there was no corruption of files, and that I can erase the records of the partial files.

The computer was a fresh install, and I did not create a password-protected user. The computer is an open door to my business/personal network. Is there any problem with me changing the details on the "User" user account to my name and a password. Does there need to be any special settings to continue allowing access to the dvr?

Do I need to check anything to be certain it automatically restarts as it has been if the computer reboots for any reason?

I have disabled auto-updates, so I can manually allow them when the DVR is inactive.

Also, since Channels DVR is operating in the background, is it ok to allow the screen to sleep and lock after inactivity. I do not let the computer shut down, only the screen to shut off and lock access without the password.

I really like the work you have done. this is an excellent program that I have been looking for for years. Thank you for your help on these points, and your overall excellent support through the forum.

Jim

I'm using a Mac Mini... your mileage may vary if using something else. I'm using my regular userid to run Channels DVR. I have it set to autologin on startup, and I have the Mini set to autoboot after power failure. I have no monitor, keyboard, or mouse on the Mini. I connect to it via remote access if I need to do something. Otherwise, I can get to the exact same DVR screen via a browser, so don't need to remote access it often. The DVR seems to handle disruption pretty well. You will get an indication that a recording was interrupted on the recordings if they didn't finish. The DVR tab will also tell you what didn't record that was scheduled. You can delete them, or they will disappear after a few days. I love this feature because with the cable company DVRs you would just have the recording missing and have no idea why. We had a power outage last night and had several recordings that got missed during the time the power was out.

Also, anyone looking for a guide, this is a new video someone put up on Youtube that is a good overview of setting up Channels DVR. Most of the Channels DVR related videos are very old... this one is new - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3okaLBcL9Y&t=7s (I don't have any affiliation with the creator of this... just thought it was appropriate as a quick guide).

1 Like

I will be ale to check out the youtube file tonight. Thank you!

In response to earlier suggestions, I have been searching for ways to incorporate my video files. Being in the business, it would be very helpful. I really like the interface Channels provides.

There seems to be a wide variety of responses covering a long time period. If I can, I would appreciate zeroing in on guidelines for things to try with the Windows 10 computer that is hosting my Channels DVR.

The command string I found in a couple of places didn't specify windows or mac that I could see, but it appeared it could hev been for mac. (1xx.xxx.x.x8:8089/dvr/scanner/paths/movies?path=/Volumes/USB/Movies) I executed it from another Windows computer on the network. Using explorer on the host, I could not see anything had been added, nor was there anything like what is listed in the attached string.

Can I add a folder using explorer, and if so what name and placement?

How should I configure the files? My current system, using the Hauppauge HD PVR 2 - store the video files as ".ts" file names.

Do I just cop the video files to the folder to enter them into the system?

What Are the steps to integrating the videos into the system?

Thank you!

Currently movies can be imported. On the DVR web UI there is a section called imports where you can add a directory path where your movies are located.

On Loading my personal video collection...

I have a number of conversion programs to use. My original recordings are ".ts" files. A one hour recording is about 5,500,000 KB - 5,600,000 KB.

What size should I shoot for for the ChannelsDVR? The simplest converter to use is made by Roxio. Unfortunately, they generally give you an option to have it output for you tube or for a specific device like an iPhone, android, etc. Choosing the Apple TV as a first shot, the resulting settings were:

Compression: H.264

Resolution: HD 1080 (1920 x 1080)

Frame Rate: 30 FPS

Data Rate: 8000 K bps

Audio format: AAC

Sampling rate: 48 kHz

Sample size: 16 bits

Channel: stereo.

It produces an MPEG-4 file.

There also is the option to set up a custom translation in addition to the specified device formats If there are ideal specs you can share, I would appreciate the help. It appears the naming procedure is the name followed by (year). I’m running my first tests to write this.

I did the conversion of the file as indicated above. I put it in a special directory on the server where I have channels DVR running. When I looked on the server I saw there was a listing for it. But there’s also under imports, many smaller clips of only a few seconds. There was also one file that showed it was about 1 hour. It seems like it worked on the server, but trying from the network, it was slow motion and really strange sounding. Very slow and dawn out.

I only placed the file in the folder, I did nothing from the program, but it seemed to pick it up when I displayed the content. Before we go too far is there an ideal configuration I could use, and instructions on how to include it.

Thank you!