New menu when selecting a programme in the guide

For the most part, any improvements you guys make are for best but this latest change to UI is hard to accept.

When selecting a programme from the guide, instead of that programme playing, you are now presented with options. I appreciate that this makes it easier to record a show in progress but all other times it’s just annoying.

I know you can play the programme instantly by pressing Play instead of clicking but this is really hard to get used to.

Could this behaviour be an option in the settings instead of forced?

Thanks for reading.

6 Likes

Someone in another thread suggested a long press to get the new menu. I really like that idea. That way a single click would start playing immediately like it used to.

4 Likes

Yeah, I mentioned using a long press in that scenario and I believe it’s the most logical way of doing things. iOS has the same issue always asking if I want to start in full screen or PIP (or on the Apple tv). I’m not sure if there are OS limitations here but hopefully @tmm1 or @maddox will address it in the future.

4 Likes

Here’s an idea… why not play if the program is live, then bring up the record UI if the program in the guide is in the future?

4 Likes

This has been reverted in the latest beta! Clicking something that is currently airing now immediately plays again.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. We needed a way to let you record something that was currently airing, without having to tune into the channel. And we wanted it to be normalized across everything so it was easier to use.

Turns out it was terrible. We even hated it! So it’s gone. You can now hold down on a currently airing show to get the option to record it. In addition, the action menu you get in On Now while holding is a little better too, it works the same way across all of the filters.

Thanks!

6 Likes

Thank you for listening!

Absolutely! Thanks guys :grin:

Love it! Can we get a fix for iOS so it doesn’t ask if we want to start in PIP every time? Full screen should be the default for single touch.

1 Like

We’re working on a better experience for PIP.

If you’re at home and Channels is open on your Apple TV, you’re still going to get that prompt. That’s just how it’s designed, so you can pick where to play it. Thats why PIP was put in there. But we get that with the PIP button in there, it means it ALWAYS prompts.