New PIP version causing screen blank outs

Hi,

Whenever I choose a channel from the guide on this latest version my screen shows the timeline and channel logo then blanks out completely before tuning into the channel.

I don't remember it doing this on the previous version, I have disabled PIP mode and it still does it. It does not do it when changing channels using the Quick Guide.

Also when backing out of the live channel back to the Guide it also blacks out completely.

Is this a change or am I imagining/mis-remembering things? Can it be reverted?

Do you have your Apple TV running in HDR at all times? It sounds like it’s using matching to turn hdr off before playing back broadcast tv.

its called frame rate matching, and yes, the channels client all of the sudden started changing frame rate out of nowhere even when the apple tv is set to SDR. it used to stay at 60 when the apple tv is set to frame rate matching and i swear i thought there was an option to toggle it in the app but i no longer see it. it might of been there many version back.

No I have it set to 4K 50Hz SDR with match frame and match range on.

The input is not switching refresh rates when going from guide to channel as I can see that on my TV info, and I have also tested with match framerate off, and the same thing happens.

From guide it goes to a paused image of the channel with the timeline showing, then blacks out completely for 2 seconds or so then comes back playing with the timeline up.

Please submit diagnostics after it happens and we can see what the logs show.

I just submitted it.

It happens every time I go back to the Guide from a Live Channel and every time I choose a channel from the Guide.

The only time it doesn't black out is when changing channels using the Quick Guide.

Do you not see this behaviour on this version?

just did after it matched frame rate.

Mine is not matching framerate as I stated, my AppleTV is set to 50Hz and my feeds are 50Hz, I can see in my TV info that the refresh rate is not changing when the screen blacks out.

I got @AeroR1's diagnostics but nothing from @Paul_Kemp

Submitted again, any luck?

Got it. I see it's not connected to your dvr which is why I missed it before.

Yes, I am using the Live Channels app currently, and not the DVR service.

@tmm1 - do you not see this behaviour on this version?

Does everyone else see the same behaviour as me? Am I right in thinking it didn't do this before the latest version? If so, can it be reverted to not do this?

Does it stop happening if you set Match Framerate to Off? Or Match Range to Off? Which setting fixes it?

Match framerate doesn't stop it. I have not tested range yet as my base settings are SDR and there are no HDR channels on UK terrestrial TV. I have not found a setting to fix it The screen settings don't change I can see it just goes black.
I would like to know if other people are not seeing this behaviour, no-one else has stated either way...

If you could try disabling Match Range and see if that helps, that will tell me what needs to be fixed and where.

I'm assuming this is only happening for a small subset of users, perhaps specifically in UK.

The only changes made recently in this area were requested by @stoli412 in Frame rate switching for live TV

Ok it's match dynamic range with Chroma set to 4:2:0 that causes it. With that setting off it does not do this. With that setting on and chroma set to 4:4:4 it does not do this.

So I've found a fix, but it seems to be a new 'bug'...

1 Like

Could you submit diagnostics for both cases

Is this the reason why frame rate matching started? Can you give us an option to turn it off in channels even though it’s on in the Apple TV settings?

I don’t care about matching frame rates in live tv. It’s the worst tv experience when channel surfing.

Thanks.

Uploaded 3

1. 444 range match on - no black screen
  2. 420 range match on - black screen
  3. 420 range match off - no black screen

All have frame rate match on