NEW: Remote DVR Access on iOS

I updated your IP manually which is why it started working. There’s still a bug that occurs sometimes when a user’s IP changes that I’m trying to track down.

Thanks. Pretty nasty bug for a DDNS service!!!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. While not as pretty, the web UI seems to work fine for the rare times that I remotely use it.

Hopefully you’ll consider adding a setting in the future for manually configuring it.

When Let’s Encrypt launches wildcard certs next year, we’ll have a lot more flexibility and it will be easier to let you specify your own IP.

I set this up today and when I tried to view a remote DVR recording it said “No DVR Transcoder. Sorry your Channels DVR computer is not powerful enough to compress video for remote viewing.” I’m using a Synology NAS. Does to mean I can’t use remote DVR viewing?

Yes, your NAS has an ARM processor which is not powerful enough for remote viewing. We recommend a NAS or computer with an Intel Pentium or Celeron (which have Intel Quick Sync support) for best results.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Will the sub domain of channelsdvr.net change for my account? If I setup a static DNS entry for XYZ.channelsdvr.net on my network that points to an internal IP address, could that work? Thanks!

1 Like

Yes that would work. The domain will not change for your account.

Excellent, thanks for the quick reply!

Is it normal that Channels Remote DVR only works when my phone is set to cellular? If I try connecting remotely from a different public wifi network it says no tuner found. I’m guessing it’s searching for the tuner on the public wifi at that point.

I have had good results with most WiFi, but some may not allow ports besides 80/443

My issue with double Bonjour Libraries broadcasting seems to be resolved. I will test further. Thank you! Love the apps and the service! Couldn’t be happier!

I am not able to access live TV or my DVR remotely. Over wifi, it works flawlessly. As soon as I go to cellular, it says “Tuner Not Available”. Nothing out of ordinary in the log. Port forwarding is set to automatic and it says “Listening on [my IP address]:8089”

So it’s able to connect to your DVR? Do recordings play back?

I had the same problem yesterday. Couldn’t access Live TV nor recordings on cellular.

First time I’ve tried to connect on cellular in over a month. Cannot determine if it’s my cellular connection or another problem.

I don’t even have the option to playback a recording. When I open the app, it says “no tuners detected”. I’ve tried logging out of remote DVR and back in, but no luck. On my server, I have tried checking and unchecking the Bonjour box, which now says “Advertising [PC name] via [internal IP address]”. Under ‘Remote DVR’ it is set to automatic port forwarding and says "Listening on [external IP address]:8089. Works flawlessly when my phone is connected to my home wifi, but as soon as I go outside my internal network, I get the “no tuners detected” message.

Does my.channelsdvr.net load for you over cellular?

Interestingly, I just loaded that site from my phone and it opened fine. Then I went back into the app and was able to connect remotely. Not sure why it wouldn’t work before.

4 posts were split to a new topic: How to remote DVR?