NEW: Remote DVR Access on iOS

The latest iOS beta app lets you access your DVR remotely. Give it a try and leave your feedback here.

You can sign up for the beta automatically by just clicking this link.

3 Likes

I was able to connect but I can not stream anything. When I try to watch live tv I get ā€œturner not availableā€ and when I try to access recordings I get ā€œthere are currently no recordingsā€¦ā€. I checked the DVR tab and it shows 0 GB or O GB available. Is there any thing you want me to try?

1 Like

Is incredible how fast you guys put things together, live tv and recording work perfect on my cellular data LTE, takes a little longer to load the guide and recordings but I imagine is the cellular data. One thing I noticed is every time I switch from wifi to cellular data I have to log in.

Thank you for your hard work

1 Like

I gave it a try (with DVR 2017.07.28.2151).

When switching to cellular (disabling wifi), I have to force close the app to get it to work (else it says I have no recordings).

Typically, when I return to local wifi, the app blows up but then works fine.

Lastly, when remote (at least, when remote on cellular), the tuners do not work. See following:

2017/07/28 20:30:17 [TNR] Opened connection to 10542D1A for ch11.1 [transcode=none]
2017/07/28 20:30:19 [HLS] Probing live stream for codec/bitrate took 1.660732412s
libva info: VA-API version 0.40.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
Impossible to convert between the formats supported by the filter ā€˜graph 0 input from stream 0:0ā€™ and the filter ā€˜auto_scaler_0ā€™
Error reinitializing filters!
Failed to inject frame into filter network: Function not implemented
Error while processing the decoded data for stream #0:0
2017/07/28 20:30:21 [TNR] Closed connection to 10542D1A for ch11.1

Force quitting the app will get you past the second issue. Youā€™ll then be asked to authorize remote access.

I have not found a workaround for the first issue (tuner not available); but have included log entries in my post.

Thanks @jkline, thatā€™s exactly what I did after I made my post and it worked for the recordings.

Hmm weird. It works for me on Mac, so maybe a platform specific issue. I will try with my QNAP on Monday.

Correct, or leave and re-enter the app. Will fix this so it detects as soon as you change network.

We plan to improve this so it remembers. Right now it will forget your remote DVR login if you come back home.

Great, thank you.

Itā€™s working great. A couple of issues:

There doesnā€™t seem to be a way to switch servers for those of us with more than one DVR server (different zip codes, different line-ups). It looks like the app connects to the last server you have accessed in Safari.

Closed Captions donā€™t work when transcoder is Hardware (still a ffmpeg bug?)

1 Like

I got so excited when I saw this post, I peed a little!

Watching recording worked fine and snappy, but like others, live didnā€™t work on my I phone, tuner unavailable.

You guys are the best!

2 Likes

Here is my log
Impossible to convert between the formats supported by the filter ā€˜graph 0 input from stream 0:0ā€™ and the filter ā€˜auto_scaler_0ā€™
2017/07/29 01:51:13 [TNR] Closed connection to 10559038 for ch4.1
2017/07/29 01:54:34 [TNR] Opened connection to 10559038 for ch4.1 [transcode=none]
2017/07/29 01:54:38 [TNR] Closed connection to 10559038 for ch4.1
2017/07/29 01:55:58 [TNR] Opened connection to 10559038 for ch5.2 [transcode=none]
2017/07/29 01:55:58 [HLS] Probing live stream for codec/bitrate took 521.993987ms
2017/07/29 01:56:03 [TNR] Closed connection to 10559038 for ch5.2

Iā€™m unable to get it to work either. Iā€™ve tried the ā€˜log into DVRā€™ setting, authorised it, then I receive a message that DVR login failed.

Everything is awesome!!! Best feature release yet. Here is my configuration.

Mac-mini: OSX El Capitan
iOS 10.3.3
DVR 2017.07.28.2151

Live and recorded tv work fine
Login to DVR setting worked on first try
[BUG] Do have to reauthorize App when switching from WiFi to Cellular.

1 Like

Any chance of getting a 576p transcode option (as in the web UI) for us UK users?

Remote streaming seems to be working well. I canā€™t stream live TV, though I think thatā€™s an issue with iOS 11 beta, as it hasnā€™t been working in the web UI either. Streaming recordings seems fine though.

DVR login failed from cellular. Figured it might be that Google WiFi firewall is enabled by default. Set up port forward TCP 8089 external to 8089 internal and it now works on my iPhone 6. Very awesome. The most important thing for me is not the watching but the remote recording feature.

TestFlight says my iPad is incompatible. Model No A1460 (iOS 10.3.3). Of note the non-beta regular Channels app is also declared not compatible with my iPad by the App Store. Never tried it on an iPad before today. I assume it is 64bit only and my poor iPad 4 is excluded :unamused:

Standard def in the U.K. is indeed 576i. Would transcoding mpeg2 576i be any less processor intensive if the target was 576P AVC than any other resolution such as 480P? Would any gain for this be offset by a negative impact in transcoding 1080i to 576P?

What is your deinterlacer setting on the web ui? Try setting it to hardware.

Iā€™m not sure 576p provides any encoding or decoding benefit. Especially on iPhone/iPad screen sizes, 480p and 576p are essentially equivalent.

Is the web UI working still? Sounds like your port forward might have broken again. Might be better to set it up on your router manually.

Each user is currently assigned a single ddns entry, so multiple servers wonā€™t work. I plan to add an option to toggle remote access, so you could conceivably select which one you want remote access to by enabling only that server via its web UI. (Right now itā€™s essentially random which one you will end up accessing, since each is overwriting the IP every couple hours).

The other option would be to setup two separate accounts, one for each DVR. Then you could login to the one you wanted.

True multi DVR support in the app would be nice, but unlikely to happen any time soon.

Yea nothing has changed here.

1 Like