NEW: Remote DVR Access on tvOS

Fixed

:clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Should top shelf populate when DVR is remote?

If the goal is remote access to the DVR, why not just enable it in the DVR settings and then do a port forward at your firewall?

Tested at home by connecting my ATV to my iPhone via tethering - got it working beautifully. Had to change [name-of-ATV[.local to the IP address manually after clicking on Authorize, but other than that it all worked perfectly first time. Seems there will be several of us testing this in the wild on our various vacations in two weeksā€™ time!

How does the ATV know the difference between Internet and cellular? I assumed that on iOS it got it from the device.

I am trying to understand the use case for this. This means I can take my AppleTV to a hotel room or vacation home and access my DVR and liveTV from my house. Is it necessary to do the setup before I leave my house or do I do this setup at the vacation location? What happens when I return. Do I need to reconfigure the AppleTV at all or just plug it in at home?

From my testing: Yes, the use case is exactly as you describe: you take your ATV with you when you travel to a hotel or vacation home or anywhere with wifi where you want to be able to use your DVR as if you were at home, right on your TV. The setup steps (which are still klunky at the moment since this is currently only experimental capability) are to be done at the vacation location. All you need to do before you leave the house is unplug and pack you ATV, not forgetting your cables. When you return, you simply plug back in and it works as far as I can make out. You might need to restart the app to get it to register that youā€™re back - it will detect the DVR server on the local network.

1 Like

As far as I understand it, this is effectively avoiding users having to worry about port forwarding or dynamic IP addresses so that once the setup UI is complete it should ā€˜just workā€™. Also the changes to the tvOS app are detecting when itā€™s connected remotely and providing built-in transcoding options in the app to account for different connection speeds from the remote location.

Thanks for that. I"m still confused. Wen away from home I canā€™t imaging taking an ATV on the road but instead using an iPad or iPhone as my screen. So somehow the DVR needs to get gotten to, perhaps with NAT-PNP. Reading the OP it seems that this is a tvOS feature thatā€™s coming with the next release. Oh well, Iā€™ll wait and see. Port forwarding to the system running the DVR works quite nicely for live and recorded material albeit with no security.

Sounds like you donā€™t need this feature then. I quite often go away to a vacation home for a week where there is a main TV in the living room and Iā€™d like to use Channels and DVR on it, so I will just take my ATV with me. Itā€™s easy and small to pack in the context of all the rest of the stuff we take with us!

Youā€™re right this is experimental for now, likely to be added in a future release. The benefit of the feature is that the user doesnā€™t need to worry about NAT or port forwarding or anything - it just works.

Iā€™m the same as @Randall_Barth, I travel with my iPhone and hdmi adapter.

I donā€™t have a vacation home, and Iā€™m not going to Bali, (how much tv are you going to watch? @tmm1 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) so I didnā€™t see the usecase ether. Then I started thinking about what Iā€™m going to do with the main tvā€™s ATV when the new ATV5 comes out and I replace it. I decided Iā€™m going to take it to work to watch the news.

1 Like

Testing this out and having issues with pixelation on some channels that I donā€™t have issues with on the app. Any thoughts?

The streaming quality option on the Settings tab controls the picture quality when watching remotely. You can increase it but you need to make sure the internet connection on both sides supports that much bandwidth.

Try running speed test like speedtest.net and verifying that your actual upload speed is what you are expecting.

1 Like

Itā€™s sports channels mainly. Other channels like A&E work fine and look good. ESPN and big ten are stuttering and pixelated no matter what quality I pick. Both locations have 75mb down and 10mb up or more when testing. And I spoke too soon because Iā€™m getting remotely on iOS and atv. Server running on PR4100. Transcoding issues?

You could try changing the deinterlacer setting on the DVR web UI Settings to blend or hardware to see if that helps.

It didnā€™t seem to make a difference which I chose. All seemed to look the same and behave the same. Not away from home anymore so Iā€™ll have to try it again some other time. This feature is a very welcome one, appreciate all you have done with this app.

Instead of linking to a webpage to authorise the connection would it be possible to add username/email and password in the app instead? The reason I ask is because I often go on holiday to places where the wifi sucks (or is a captured portal) but the 4G is great (my Summer holiday in Northern Spain for example) and I would like to hook up the aTV to my iPhone hotspot. Unfortunately if I do this I cannot access the aTV from the iPhone as the NAT for the iPhone isolates the aTV so I cannot authorise.

If you authorize once at home it should remember when you are remote. We canā€™t do user/pass logins because many users use their Facebook or twitter to sign up for their accounts.

Iā€™m surprised that you wouldnā€™t be able to access the ATV though if itā€™s using the wifi network shared by your iPhoneā€¦