New Siri Shortcuts: Are Variables Possible?

Is it possible to set up a variable for the channel name when using shortcuts?

Right now I have it setup to ask each time, which will bring a list of channels on my iPad. What I would like to do is have a variable with the channel name so that I have one shortcut that can tune to any channel.

Example: When I say "Hey siri Watch *variable*" the shortcut will reference the list of channels and turn to the name given.

This is possible with IFTTT and may have been possible with the previous shortcut method, hopefully I'm missing something with the new config.

The actions don’t accept input since their values are picked from a list. The list values are provide by the app.

It’s possible another action could be created that accepts just a channel number. It wasn’t added to decrease the complexity and confusion of having it along with the Watch Channel action.

1 Like

Would it be possible to add an action that accepts a name as well?

Also, it it possible for the device to be a variable? Ideally I would like to setup one shortcut with two variables (channel, and device).

Example: "Hey siri, watch channel name on device name"

No, because there’s no way to resolve that.

There’s nothing in the lineups that have normal names like “discovery” or “espn”. They’re all call signs. So there’s no way we can take your words and match it.

Your best bet is to just create shortcuts for each of your favorite channels and add any phrase you want.

For CableCard and TVE there are. I was going to try to make it easy by exporting the M3U to another DVR and modify the channel names to be as straight forward as possible.

However, I do understand that that most are using Channels with OTA and call signs would be the norm.

There’s more than callsigns but they’re truncated in some cases and not at all what most people would say out loud.

Unfortunately this is a lowest common denominator thing. Again, you fully have evey ability to make your own shortcuts using your own phrasing.

1 Like

Just want to say that I finally set siri shortcuts up and its life-changing. Very nice.

But parameters, or variables, or whatever, would be amazing. Even a multi-step thing where I say, "Hey Siri, Watch Channel" and it says, "What Channel?" and You can then ask for the right channel.

It seems conceptually similar to the "Instacart" demo they talk about here:

Introducing Parameters for Shortcuts - WWDC19 - Videos - Apple Developer

In shortcut actions, if you leave a parameter as blank, Siri will prompt you using the list.

So if you create a "Watch Channel" shortcut, and use the "Watch CHANNEL on DEVICE" action and leave the CHANNEL parameter blank, Siri will prompt you for it every time it's run.

Welp, this isn't actually true. If you use the Play button in the Shortcuts editor, it gives you a list. If you actually use the siri shortcut outside of the Shortcuts app, it expects vocal input.

The problem with vocal input is that channel identifiers are weird, and siri is going to mess it up every time.

Maybe I could create an action that returns a list of channels, collections, and shows. Then you could use it to craft this.

Maybe if you could have a favorites there..: like I only watch 10 channels or so … I’d be happy to select from a list.

The other issue is the list doesn’t appear very performant on my iPhone … and mine is tbe 13 pro Max. When you have 200 channels, sorting through all them is hard…

1 Like

Yes, I think being able to limit the list to Favorites, or even better, any channel collection, would make this interaction friendlier.

So I've been experimenting with this a bit.

I've found I can do something like this and it works pretty well.

What would be very helpful though is if I could pass like an integer into the "Watch CHANNEL on DEVICE" shortcut. (Maybe an integer won't work because of ATSC sub-channels like 29.1 ... but similar idea).

It appears that that the "Watch" shortcut needs a variable of type Channel. As far as I can tell, it won't accept an integer or text string, even if I spell out "Comedy Central Pluto TV (465)".

That said, I find this very nifty.

1 Like