New Sports Streaming Service

This is interesting.

1 Like

Looks promising.
I think it will be DRMed but only time will tell.

i just think something like this coming up is just speeding up the point to when TVE will go away and right now I have access to mostly everything here which I enjoy using with channels. we shall see what happens.

Not too sure what to make of that but if it's DRM'd and expensive then it's meh

Not to mention that if they force live watching without the ability to do replay and skip it's a total non-starter for me, but that's exactly what they want. Appointment TV with unskippable commercials just like the bad old days.

Analysts are ballparking $40 to $50 a month by the way, which is not far off of what YouTube charges for almost all of the sports channels including the missing NBC and CBS stuff here. And with that you get to DVR everything. I don't get it unless they start moving a lot of stuff to streaming only, which will make cable and satellite scream.

1 Like

If they include timeshifting and DVR capabilities, I think this is the final nail in the coffin for cable TV.

Not sure why there are two threads for this topic, but a post from the other one suggested that combining this service, at say $40, with Philo for $25 could be a potential replacement for the YTTV's of the world, but I disagree. I think YTTV and the rest are all in trouble because most of the traditional cable channels have ended or greatly reduced the amount of original content they produce. In another year or two, all those channels will be no better than their free alternatives on a FAST service like Pluto. So I think it's far more likely that people combine this service with Netflix or Max. And one of those streamers builds its own FAST service with live channels and news to fill in the gaps.

I could see cable dumping all of its traditional channels in favor of a FAST model, as well, to try to hang on to its dwindling customer base. Whatever the fallout, I think it's safe to assume that that TVE is cooked as well.

Got another one for you.

An The Golf Channel is missing here!!
That's a big NO.

NBC/Peacock are not gonna give that up...

1 Like

Right, this conglomerate group does not include any NBC, CBS people or channels.
And basically now the only way to watch and record Golf Channel is with a streaming app or cable box.
The NBC or NBC Sports apps are horrible and no recording.

2 Likes

At 40-50 / month, it would only make sense if it included RSNs, which it almost certainly will not.

I can see a market for those with 1) a good OTA setup who want to keep costs down, or 2) only watch sports

...but those are 2 niches.

Now local TV stations are weighing in on this new plan in a way that they make it clear that they would also be paid for the local games that stream on it. In a statement, Gray Television made it clear that it wants Disney, FOX, and Warner Bros. Discovery to pay for any games that will air on local TV stations. “Gray welcomes any venture that expands the reach of local broadcasting stations, which in turn supports the ability of local stations to maintain trusted local news operations that benefit everyone.
... Look for cable TV companies, other streaming services, and even local TV stations to push back against this planned streaming service.
Uh Oh!!
Looks like $50 may not be enough LOL.
Everybody wants to stick their greedy hands into the pot!!

1 Like