New System build!

Hey Kids, I'm Back!!

I'm In the process of building a new machine to run my Channels DVR & Plex Server.

Gonna run Ubuntu LTS as the primary OS and windows 11 for occasional use when needed.

Just wondering what ya'll think of these specs. I know its probably overkill but it's what I have-

ASUS Prime b460 MB (found cheap at thrift store)
i7 -10700K
32GB DDR4 (Will upgrade to 64GB in a few weeks)
2x 512GB NVME for OS's
no video card at this time but will upgrade at some point.

Why so much RAM?
Why the second small NVME drive
Where will you store your recordings?

RAM- I mean, why not?? LOL

Forgot to put I have a 2tb HDD for Channels' DVR recordings and I am slowly buying 8tb drives for ripping my blu-rays. I have one now with about 6tb used up and about 150 uncompressed movies in MKV format. I refuse to compress :stuck_out_tongue:

Hold off on the extra RAM and use those funds for storge. The rest will make a fine system. If you do encoding or decoding, particularly of 4k video, a video card would be a good addition.

My first "server" was a 2005 Sony Vaio laptop, with a 1.2Ghz mobile processor, 1GB ram, and a 60Gb harddrive. I installed Raspian Linux on it, and Channels ran perfectly, with absolutely NO issues.

You don't need much to run Channels. I now am using the built image on a Raspberry Pi 4b, and a 4TB Usb3 drive