New Tablo 4th Generation

Just announced.
Introducing the new 4th generation Tablo device & app experience

Does the 4th generation Tablo support ATSC 3.0 (aka NextGen TV)?

No. The tuners in the 4th generation Tablo support the ATSC 1.0 broadcast standard used by all mainstream commercial broadcasts today and the Tablo device takes full advantage of it like never before. While ATSC 3.0 broadcasts are available in some markets, ATSC 1.0 broadcasts will continue through at least June 2027.

So basically $100 for a networked two tuner OTA (ATSC 1.0) DVR device with 128GB memory and free 14 day guide data. Like a HDHR, the storage is expandable by adding external USB storage.

Wonder how good the "free" 14 day guide data is. And since you're not paying a sub for the guide, that lets them off the hook to support it. Could turn into a 24hr guide or go away all together.

It's about $10 less upfront cost than an HDHR Flex Duo and saves you $35/yr with free guide data.

I graduated to the HDHR / Channels combo from a Tablo Quad. Wasn't a bad device but the undisclosed "feature" was that 1080i/60 signals were transcoded to 1080p/30. Sports looked about as bad as you can imagine. Sold it on eBay.

2 Likes

The device will most likely have support for ATSC 3.0 through firmware update.
wouldn't make sense to release it otherwise.
would love to get one to deploy for a remote channel location for OTA reception.

I would not count on a firmware update making it ATSC 3.0 capable.

What does this mean for the Tablo ATSC 3.0 QUAD HDMI DVR?

We are still working on the Tablo ATSC 3.0 QUAD HDMI DVR and understand that early adopters of ATSC 3.0 are still eager for a compatible Tablo solution. There is no ETA for this product right now, but significant progress is being made to ensure the device will be fully certified and compliant with all ATSC 3.0 requirements.

Nope, IF that was possible they'd say that right out for marketing. They clearly said it has TWO Atsc 1.0 tuners ONLY.

As far as I'm concerned, that makes this DOA out of the box. They need a minimum of 2- 1.0 + 2 - 3.0 tuners.

1 Like

Hopefully someone will be able to make a docker setup for this as which has been done in the past

I just got my hands on a 128Gb dual tuner Tablo which I think is a version 4 but channels doesn't seem find it on the network.

Any ideas?

1 Like

As I understand it, the new Tablo tuners are incompatible with Channels. Only HDHomeRun tuners are officially supported.

Older Tablo models have some level of support, but it is beta quality and not officially supported.

@racameron Well, I've only got $60 in it. Should I return it?

If you want to use it standalone with Tablo's software, keep it. If you want a tuner to use with Channels, get an HDHR.

I also have a 4k flex but was hoping to use the tablo for another market just to the west of me

:frowning:

does it still require an antenna