New User - DVR not working right

Thanks tmm1, how do I uninstall Channels? I've gone to control panels > programs and features and do not see Channels listed to uninstall

Run the installer from our website again and pick uninstall

ok well that didn't work...........I downloaded the installer again. Chose the option to disable DVR and to uninstall..........and it is still installed. Come on............seriously.

Can you try with the latest DVR build to see if there is any change?

OK, but try what?
Try for a remux or a transcode and if transcode, what properties?

Try a remux on the computer it wasn't working on before to see if it works now.

Same as before. Remux starts running but player is paused forever until I click forward on the progress bar or skip forward. Then it plays normally. Anything else?

1 Like

That's it thanks

That was an H.264 channel. If I pick an mpeg2 channel to play live the transcode starts playing right away, but has pauses and jitters until I Pause, then Play and everything is fine after that.

Note: this is using Firefox Quantum v65.0.2 (64 bit) haven't updated to todays v66.0.1 yet
Update: Just updated to Firefox v66.0.1 and no change

@tmm1

Just wanted to add some data points to this issue.

Browser is Firefox Quantum v66.0.1(64-bit) and I've tested with all add-ons/extensions disabled
Channels DVR v2019.03.23.0112

Watching H.264 recordings, remux starts and the video plays fine in the player.

Watching mpeg2 recordings, transcode starts, but the video is paused even though the controls shows it's playing. Pausing and playing does nothing. Have to skip ahead or click ahead in the timeline to get it to start playing.

Watching H.264 live tv, remux starts, but the video is paused even though the controls shows it's playing. Pausing and playing does nothing. Have to skip ahead or click ahead in the timeline to get it to start playing.

Watching mpeg2 live tv, transcode starts and the video plays fine in the player.

Repeated the testing using Safari on my iPad Pro.

Watching H.264 recording, remux starts and recording plays fine.

Watching mpeg2 recording, transcoder starts and recording plays fine.

Watching H.264 live tv, remux starts and player gives error "The media playback was aborted due to a corruption problem or because the media used features your browser did not support."

Watching mpeg2 live tv, transcoder starts and player gives error "The media playback was aborted due to a corruption problem or because the media used features your browser did not support."

Update: The player errors with live tv are intermittent. I can try playing a channel and it will work fine one time, then fail next time. Happens on both H.264 and mpeg2 live tv, playing recordings works every time.

1 Like

I'm no ffmpeg expert and don't know how I would override Channels DVR ffmpeg command when remuxing or transcoding, but I'm wondering if dropping that split_by_time hls_flag or adding -flags +cgop -g 30 would fix the issues?

You're on the right track. This build removed split_by_time for recordings and I plan to do the same with live tv.

Appears to these tired eyes that if I start watching a live H.264 program close enough to an IDR frame it plays fine. If I start watching too far from an IDR frame I get an error or it seems to buffer forever. The first HLS segment always seems to start with a reference frame, but that might be a I or P frame instead of an IDR frame. I don't think a B frame can be a reference frame?

Maybe the first HLS segment generated should be longer (a couple seconds) if that's possible. I don't know what the spec is for max look behind/ahead for reference frames using open gop is and H.264/MPEG-4 AVC gets deep in the weeds and over my head most of the time?

Going to enjoy some of my recordings and let the experts figure this out :grinning:

Which encoder are you using btw?

HW vaapi, also same issue using software transcoding.

Transcoder - Video compression mode used for remote and web-based playback
Transcoder - Hardware
Deinterlacer - Hardware

Web Player - Configure the video player built into the web browser (requires transcoding on DVR server)
Server Quality - 1080p @ 10mbps
Client Buffer - 30 seconds

OS
Synology DS1019+
linux
(kernel: 4.4.59+)

CPU
4 cores / Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU J3455 @ 1.50GHz

RAM
7.62 GB
91.5% free

1 Like

I was jumping to the wrong conclusion here, wrong on that count. Remuxed H.264 live tv HLS streams that begin with an IDR or I frame may result in the Safari web player throwing the error "The media playback was aborted due to a corruption problem or because the media used features your browser did not support."
Can't determine what causes the error as I can immediately try to play the same live program again and it will work sometimes.

1 Like

Pretty sure if you drop the hls_flags discont_start & split_by_time for live tv remux and transcode viewing it will get rid of many issues since each hls segment should then be a complete gop.