New User looking for Tweaks in Channels

is there guide coloring for movies, sports, news, etc?
Can I only use 1 of the 3 tuners of my Prime? Channels seems to take up all my tuners even when not fully in use.

No.

Channels will use all of your tuners, one at a time. It will even use multiple boxes and roll over to them. But there's no reason it would be using 3 tuners at once for a single thing.

Channels will use tuner for each of these: Watching a live channel, recording a channel.

How are you determining that it's using up all of your tuners?

2 Likes

Too bad about guide coloring. maybe future feature

I ran out of tuners when trying to use HDhomerun app on ipad. But I was doing an inital channel scan on Channels DVR. maybe it uses multiple for that

Multiple apps accessing an HDHR tuner don't coordinate access with each other and the HDHR tuner doesn't care who requested it's resources. It's first come, first served.

Pretty sure all HDHR tuner models use all of its tuners when doing a channel scan, at least my HDHR Prime does.

2 Likes

This is why there is a setting for tuner sharing; it uses the server as a delegate to manage tuner access, so multiple clients requesting the same channel will only use a single tuner.

Scans managed by HTTP API (which Channels uses for tuners that support it) will use all available tuners for the scan. If a tuner was already in use when a scan was initiated, then that tuner ought to continue with your stream and the others would be used for the scan.

Older tuners (Gen3 and older, except for the Prime) don't support the HTTP API. To initiate a scan on those devices you have to specify which specific tuner you want use for the scan, leaving the other(s) available for viewing while the scan continues. (Channels will determine the tuner to use, you do not need to select it yourself.)

1 Like

True for Channels DVR clients, but not multiple apps like HDHomerun app vs Channels DVR

Sounds like he started the channel scan in Channels DVR and while it was scanning tried to use the HDHomerun app.

@passinos If this is indeed the case, then I'm not sure the scan from within Channels was necessary. Channels will read the lineup from the tuner's firmware in exactly the same way that the HDHR app will; if you can see the lineup from within the HDHR app (or in the HDHR's own web UI) then so can Channels and an additional scan is not needed.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.