Newbie Guidance

Looking for guidance on getting started with TVE (former Tablo customer). I noticed that there were two Channels apps in the AppleTV App Store, do I need both? If so, do I have to pay anything additional beyond the $25 cost for the app? I am currently paying for a Hulu Live subscription, what would I need to set up the DVR for recording shows? Thanks to everyone for getting my on board!

Both apps are identical. Channels paid app is for use with HDHomeRun units live viewing only. Channels DVR free app works only when paired with the DVR service ($8/mo or $80/yr) which is used for recording/playback of HDHomeRun feeds, TV Everywhere feeds, and Locast feeds.

Buy the $25 app if you want live OTA feeds only. Subscribe to the DVR service and the Channels DVR app will work without extra cost.

DVR service does require you to provide the hardware for it to run on, but older hardware is usually sufficient (old Intel based laptop or desktop with 250GB will get you started).

-- Mike

1 Like

So for someone like me who already has a Hulu subscription, I can use the free app alongside the DVR service and be good to go? That will allow me to watch live TV on my AppleTV through the free channels app as well as record shows on my local DVR? Sounds almost too good to be true.

1 Like

Its a subscription for $8/month, so not really free. You should check to see what TVE channels Hulu gives access to.

How often does the app ask for you to renter your credentials besides the first time you set it up? If I want my wife to be on board, this has to be a “set and forget” solution. Thanks everyone!

It is set and forget. You are going to need an HDHR for local channels though: ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW, MyTV, PBS

I am smarter than the average bear but still can’t wrap my mind around why I wouldn’t get my locals through TVE (besides CBS because of them forcing people to CBS all access). Anyone care to explain, again, as I am sure it is out there already.

some people in major metropolitan areas can. If you can get a live stream, from nbc.com/live, you might be able to get the DVR to grab it.

TVE is fed by the Network Providers themselves, with TVE providing access matching what your cable bundler that you subscribe to will allow access to. Some TV stations do feed TVE, but not most OTA stations.

-- Mike

I was able to stream my local NBC channel on the NBC app with my credentials. I assume that is a good sign. Ok, will try to set up the DVR on an old MacBook tomorrow, load the free Channels app on my AppleTV and give it a whirl. Any other tips/tricks?

you need to be able to stream the locals on the network websites. You can try the DVR for free for 30 days, so you might as well set it up and see what you get. But an HDHR is a good option if you want more free channels and are in an area where there are broadcast towers.

I will give it a shot and see what I get. Can always add the HDHR, if I need to (antenna is already set up for the Tablo). Can anyone explain how this thing records shows? I find it hard to believe that it can record a show with just the subscriber login credentials - sounds too good to be true. Also, any comments on the stream quality? Looking to get something much better than what I get with my Tablo (sports look terrible).

TVE is going to be TVE quality. The same quality you get streaming from the website. DVR authenticates to the website, records the stream.

It actually uses chrome components
to log in to the website of the channel using your credentials. It then captures the stream and sends it to your client, or stores it as a recording. Quality in my experience is very good. It is in the “too good to be true” realm. :blush:

I think of "too good to be true" a case where you get something for nothing.

This is not that. It takes some time and planning to set up a device with lots of HDD space and decent processing power to be the DVR. And some time and planning to get an antenna and HDHR set up if you are going to complete the system with that. A paid subscription to a provider to get the TVE extra channels. Hulu is probably not the best option for TVE support, so you might also spend some time switching around to find something that offers the tv channels over TVE that you want. And a paid subscription to Channels DVR software. The TVE channels are good quality, but TVE is a lower quality than an OTA stream, and can be glitchy sometimes.... once in awhile a differently encoded commercial can cause the stream to pause. And most of TVE is delayed by around a minute from live, so the DVR records a full minute of the previous show before the TVE show starts... it also requires 1 minute end padding so as to keep recording past the scheduled time to get the end of the show. The recording quality is very good and the UI is easy to use.

90% of the time, I use my DVR to record OTA channels coming in to an HDHR from an antenna. Shows on these channels are the highest quality, start and end at the correct times, have the best sports (Ravens), the best prime time shows, the best late night, etc.

For something that does what Channels does, this is a good deal. And the Channels client UI and web interface is excellent. But it does cost money and will take some time to get everything set up. Once you commit and put the effort in to find a good source for locals and a TVE provider that has channels you like (if you want the extra channels) and have all the hardware setup, Channels doesn't really require any further maintenance. Until your drive gets full.

1 Like

At the bottom of the web Settings page, under Experimental, check the box for "Local Networks via TV Everywhere".

The getchannels website has instructions and faq. The easiest thing to do is follow the instructions and get started and figure out how it best fits your needs by testing.

FYI Hulu live doesn't support tv everywhere for CNN TNT TBS CN. And A@E, History etc don't offer live streams.