Newbie question re. migration of existing shows/movies to new Rpi image

I am moving from a Plex Server installation where I have a huge TV and Movie library built over the last few years. I would like Channels to manage these from now on.

My Plex server had folder monitoring and whenever I recorded a new show on my Mac, it would see the file and create an entry in the Plex library. Plex, similar to the Channels Import operation, left the mov/mp4/mpg file in the directory and built a media library on Plex.

My question is more for the Rpi image folks...I know we are running a limited OS (HA) and my DVR data, by default is mounted on /media/DVR ... if this were my Mac, or a full OS I would be comfortable doing what I am asking here...

Is it recommended or acceptable for me to create directories (e.g. TV, Movies, Videos) on the /media mount and change the owner/group to "channels" and then copy my files over to these locations--THEN--point my Local Content (Import) to these local folders?

I already have Channels indexing the remote folders via Shares, but I would prefer everything being on one device instead of having to leave my old system up and running.

Thanks!

There’s already a folder for imports ready for you to add things to. It’s already considered part of Imports and anything you add to them will be added.

/DVR/Imports/Movies
/DVR/Imports/TV

I was hoping, but then I saw this on the online documentation:

Note: You should have a folder for movies and a folder for TV shows. These folders can not be in your DVR folder where Channels saves its recordings.

You can not import movies or TV shows by putting them in the movies or tv folder in your DVR data folder.

Edit: sorry saved my reply too soon after pasting quote...

So the Imports folder inside the /DVR data older I can use as prescribed. I wasn't sure about these because of the above documentation statement indicating I can't put anything insde the DVR folder.

Yep, just not the movies and tv folders at the root. Those are for recordings only.

1 Like

Two things:

1. Following your posted link, the website does not contain the text you quoted.
  2. You are able to place your content within the "Imports" hierarchy without error.

My bad, the link should have been...Channels Support - Import Your Own Movies and TV Shows