Nimbus controller support on AppleTV

i recently bought the Nimbus gaming controller for my AppleTV. i had hoped it would aid in navigation of Channels DVR, however that’s not been the case. Could you PLEASE consider adding support for this controller along with a Settings section that permits the user to setup buttons for specific functions.

For example individual buttons to jump to each of the Guide, DVR, and Recording sections, or just one button to cycle between those sections. On my specific controller i could set up the upper index finger buttons to skip forward and backward 30sec, and the lower two index finger buttons to skip by just 5sec. Or the best one would be an Instant Record button without having to swipe/browse for the Record button on screen.

I know there are a lot of controllers out there, so maybe you could create a 3rd party controller section that allows users to click a button on their remote of choice, the Channels app recognizes that input and lets the user assign a function to it. Maybe that would keep you from having to provide unique support for each and every remote out there that AppleTV supports. I dunno, you’re the programmer and understand better how AppleTV works under the hood than i.

i LOVE my Channels app on my devices and my Channels DVR. i tell everyone i meet or comes to visit about it. I especially love the new free Channels DVR app, that has made the cost of ownership even cheaper and allows the multiple users in my household who each purchase apps with there own iCloud accounts to be able to access our family DVR.

Thanks!!!

Instead of a controller, wouldn’t you prefer a real remote? You can use any IR remote with your ATV, and go into the settings to learn a bunch of the buttons including dedicated commercial skip buttons, play/pause etc.

It’s possible you can learn keys the same way on the controller too in the ATV settings.

that is an option, but i’m trying not to have too many remotes. at this point the Nimbus actually replaces my AppleTV remote and not only performs the tasks it has always done but also gives me the ability to play games. i’d like to have just the one remote and not have to have yet another remote in addition to my Nimbus.

but on your point, what do you mean by “go into the settings…”? settings on a programmable remote? settings in Channels? settings on tvOS?

you’ll need to explain the setup of a learning remote to me better as i don’t see how that works. i will always be limited to the inputs accepted by Channels which currently only accepts the few buttons on the AppleTV, so how can i set up buttons on a learning remote that go beyond the function of the AppleTV remote and the abilities of Channels?

if Channels ever supported direct entry of channel numbers on remotes then i’d be more inclined to by a true remote that has keypad etc

See Expanded Media Keys for IR Remotes

thanks for the link.

having read that though, i’m confused. if tvOS is really that limiting, then why does anyone actually make a 3rd party controller and how do developers create games that are able to utilize all the buttons on those 3rd party controllers for doing any number of things that aren’t a function of the original AppleTV remote?

i thought when Apple made the decision some time back not to require app developers (gamers specifically) to ONLY use the AppleTV remote and open it up to 3rd party controllers, that it solved all that. meaning an app could take advantage of a 3rd party controller and all it’s available buttons to do whatever function(s) that were needed in their app?

so i guess what you’re saying is it’s not possible to add the ability in Channels to use some of these buttons on my 3rd party AppleTV supported controller to create an Instant Record, or Channel Skip, or Goto DVR button? that’s disappointing.

not really interested in spending the $$ on a programmable remote if it’s going to only ever be able to give me the limited functionality i already get out of my AppleTV remote.

thanks for your time today