No Over the air available

"pingbingding"... a name you can trust.
... and if you don't, just wait about 3 months and those same antennae will have a different name.

When those 'miracle' antennae hit the market several (many) years ago some learned testers set a bunch of 'em up, ran the tests and unanimously confirmed hanging a bag of silverware on your roof would work equally well.

If you can see the light blinking on the tower you're aiming at - any of them will work pretty well, but so will a coat hanger.

There are many reasons a 'real', 'traditional' antenna fails - one of them being they overloaded the Silicon Dust Tuner, effectively shutting it down. 'pingbingding' could step in at that time and claim victory, I suppose.

BTW: 150 miles is about 80 miles farther than ANY antenna will work, because, you know, the Earth is Round.

Anywho - Amazon's return policy is bulletproof so you can basically try anything in the window on for size.

:wink:

Wasn't trying to step on your toes, just sharing my experience...but, maybe I'm wrong and I actually hooked the ole co-ax to a bag of silverware in the attic...I just know I get a lot of clear channels.

Yeah, I thought it might be too good to be true, no offense to those who have made it work. I just know my luck. Thanks.

Sometimes things work for some and not others. I am glad you got it working.

What is TVE?

I have a single bay gray hoverman homemade antenna in my attic. It will easily pickup stations 40 miles away. However, mine are probably line of sight. It's pretty flat around here....Mine is made from #10 copper wire and a reflector made from cardboard covered with aluminum foil. Total cost $3.00 for the balun. Reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters/comments/5wdbd5/single_bay_grayhoverman_antenna_is_a_solid_choice/.
Since I can see the light on top of one of the transmitters I also use a loop of copper wire about 10" across and a balun for the signal that's otherwise too strong for my hdhomerun.

Thanks

Yeah, mine are about 70-80 miles away, so that is my hurdle. I do have a local station less than 10 miles away, but I really want to find out if there is a way before spending $150-200 and all the time and energy.

No, your target transmitters - the ones you should be trying for - are 1 Edge, under 40 miles away. You have one shot - about 240 degrees and that's all you got. Is there anything in that group you want?

You absolutely, positively WILL NOT receive 1 or 2 Edge signals at 70-80 miles.

In a part of the country as flat as a billiard table you'd be hard pressed to receive ANY station beyond 60 miles - because the signal travels in a straight line and augers into the ground about 65 miles from the transmitter <---- over the horizon, Round Earth, Line of Sight.

Signal Paths - introduction:
https://www.highdefforum.com/local-hdtv-info-reception/138030-signal-path.html

1 Edge means there's a thing in the way - a big one. 2 Edge means there's (at least) two big things in the way. If you're going to receive either of them, they'd better be ricocheting off something else big (like the Walmart) to score nothing but net at your house.

You might score on a 1 Edge - if you deploy the biggest and baddest gun you can lay your hands on. You probably won't score on a 2 Edge with any gun.

Without LOS it's a gamble. You can't win if you don't play, but it's long odds.

1 Like