No RF Channel 5 problem solved - home made dipole

I put up a third TV antenna recently, using a Hi-VHF/UHF antenna but hoping to receive RF channel 5 as well since it is nearby. It did not get RF 5. The antenna is mounted at the corner of an observation deck where people walk by, it must not project to the rear of its mount. I could not find a lo-VHF antenna that would fit my space requirement.

So I made a cut to length antenna out of two FM dipoles, taped it to a PVC pipe, mounted that on the pole with the Hi-VHF/UHF antenna, and combined them with a two set coupler.

I now get very good signal on RF 5 KVCR 24.x with 4 PBS channels for my DVRs.

2 Likes

Nicely done! :+1: And that cost you what, a few bucks?

A store-bought low VHF antenna probably would have cost you a pretty penny and might not have worked as well.

This is definitely a very rewarding DIY project that pays off immediately. :smiley:

You are lucky to be located where you can get good OTA.

Enjoy! :slightly_smiling_face:

How does that low VHF antenna work, when that light comes on at night? Does it interfere at all?

That light has been disconnected for 10 years, so no worries there.

I paid $12.99 for the two FM dipole antennas, typical 300 ohm. I also paid $7 to get a few 300 ohm to 75 ohm baluns, one of which I soldered to the antenna.

The PVC pipe was in stock in our garage, and so was the black vinyl electrical tape.

I soldered and shrink wrapped the connections where I extended the dipole and attached the balun.

The bang for buck is pretty good on this one.