No signal from ABC 7.1 in Los Angeles?

I actually used a flat antenna, but it goes by the name RCA Amplified TV Antenna. How can it work?

A TV antenna is engineered to pickup certain frequencies.
There are VHF-Low, VHF-High and UHF frequencies. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan-American_television_frequencies#Terrestrial_television
If your antenna isn't made for the frequency being transmitted by the tower, it won't get the signal.

1 Like

OK I will try to look for an rabbit ears antenna that picks up VHF and UHF.

I'm using this antenna, which includes VHF-Hi (channels 7–13), with good results. (I'm in Rancho Cucamonga, so roughly the same distance from Mt. Wilson as you, but with the added issues of being in the lee of the foothills.)

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=39303

2 Likes

Is the RCA Yagi Outdoor Antenna work fine for ABC 7.1? It cost about 30 dollars at Walmart

UPDATE: I actually got the Clearstream Max-V antenna, and now this one picks up ABC 7.1 and Fox 11.1 perfectly.

3 Likes

I had a similar problem with channel 7. Some times it worked and other times it faded out and became unwatchable.
I think the VHF TV signal is affected by seasonal propagation. Just like skip does on CB radios.

I'm in Fullerton Ca too and also have a HD Run converter. I have a power boosted digital antenna in my attic. The scan picks up 132 channels BUT all the main commercial channels are hit or miss depending on the weather conditions. I've tried many times to reposition the antenna, using the app on my phone to get the "best" reception but to no avail.
Bottomline seems to be, free to air transmissions just aren't strong enough to service Fullerton.
If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve the signal strength, be it an improved booster or antenna - I'd love to hear from you.

You can pick up some pointers by reading the posts above yours.

Your best bet will be to post in the SiliconDust forum HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting - Silicondust if you have a HDHomeRun tuner.

If it's not a SiliconDust HDHomeRun tuner, try the AVS Forum Los Angeles, CA - OTA | AVS Forum

Be prepared to provide more information like the following to them.
What model HDHomeRun tuner (or HD Run converter you said you have)
What make and model antenna and amp.
What direction your antenna is pointing.
What app are you using to aim it.
What is the composition of your roof or wall the antenna points through.
Provide them with the sharable link from the rabbitears Signal Search Map for your location

Have you tried getting rid of the antenna amp? HDHR tuners do not deal well with a too-strong signal.

I have an HD antenna and ABC 7.1 (and all successive 7. Channels) cut out at 7pm nightly. Perfect reception during the day. But at 7pm it cuts out. Do they switch signals or something? I live in Silverlake/Los Feliz/Atwater Village area so it makes zero sense

A post reporting similarly is here: Los Angeles OTA - ATSC3 launch - #28 by dschaper

Positioning my antenna to even get KABC is a bit tricky, but I'm receiving it now. I'll check to see if that's still the case, after 7PM tonight!