No signal from ABC 7.1 in Los Angeles?

For the past week or so I have gotten some bad recordings of shows on ABC 7.1 so today I decided to rescan channels on my HDHomeRun Quatro and DUAL and neither found ABC 7.1.

Also my TV OTA tuner when selecting ABC 7.1 reports "error no signal" and I bet if I rescan for channels that tuner will also not find ABC 7.1.

My antenna is in my attic and there has been no changes to it or the cable going to my tuners.

I am in Fullerton, Orange County, California and the OTA transmitters are on Mount Wilson.

Using something like https://nocable.org/availability-report/bmalb-fullerton-ca-92835 shows that the ABC signal is weak, but it has worked in the past, and I do receive CBS, NBC, CWLA, FOX, etc fine.

So, are anyone else having problems receiving ABC 7.1?

Thanks!

1 Like

No problems here in Riverside but is is the weakest signal as well.

1 Like

Thanks, I rescanned tonight and the HDHR tuners found ABC 7.1 7.2 7.3 again so hopefully it will work to record this channel again!

It happened again, no KABC 7.1 when I scanned in the HD HomeRun Setup app, and my TV is showing a very poor reception with mostly noice for KABC 7.1.
Anyone else having problems with the reception of KABC 7.1?

Could be antenna and/or weather related. (Although, I don't think there's presently any real weather, last evening we had rain.) They are one of the few VHF channels, and while 7 may technically be a Hi-VHF channel, it is on the lower end of the spectrum. Most antennas are UHF and some Hi-VHF, but few are also Lo-VHF.

You may want to try retargeting your antenna.

Thanks, I rescanned a couple of days later and it has worked fine since then. One of these days I will get up in my attic and check the splitters to make sure I have the best possible signal.

Are you still getting ABC fine? I'm new to this and my attic antennae isn't finding it either.

@krgjevre kgjevre

Make sure you have an antenna capable of VHF frequencies. If I remember correctly, ABC is one of the few SoCal stations still transmitting on VHF; most everyone else has moved over to UHF frequencies. (I believe Fox (KTTV) is still also broadcasting on its VHF frequency, too.)

Don't think it's the antenna because I'm getting KTTV and a couple of VHF stations.

RF7 is the bottom of the VHF-Hi spectrum, whereas RF11 is higher up, and therefore closer to UHF frequencies.

You may also want to try over at the Silicon Dust forums, since this is a hardware issue, and they be able to more ably assist you.

Yes, I just checked right now and I am receiving 7.1, 7.2, and 7.3 fine.
I did get up in my attic a while back and replaced a splitter which helped reception.

If splitters are involved, you may want to see about replacing your regular splitters with an amplified one.

HDHomeRun tuners are much more sensitive to signal levels than most others. This is even more especially true with their latest tuners. TVs usually have hardware to attenuate overly strong signals, which means a signal that is received fine by a direct connection to your TV might overpower an HDHR tuner and result in an inability to receive anything.

why is KABC-DT 7.1 reception so bad?

I have the same problem here in Long Beach, However it is happening with several channels!
My television is new, and working perfectly when on the channels that come in clearly, and also when watching TV shows on line , Netflix , etc..
I have come to the conclusion that the TV Stations have gotten together as well as the cable companies, And between them Colluded to lower the broadcast signal for antenna service, In order to sell more cable service, then share the profitability of all subscribers who switch to cable!!!!
If you agree that this is a possibility, Please at the very least send an email with your thoughts to the FCC! I am forwarding this to them!

IIRC, ABC is using a Hi-VHF frequency; most antennas are just UHF frequencies.

1 Like

RabbitEars Mobile https://m.rabbitears.info/index.php?request=tvdx_lookup&callsign=KABC&sort=date&hours=all&tzone=PT&unit=
Shows recent stats received from 5 HDHR tuners for KABC.
You can click on a tuner, then click on the call sign to get a signal history.

For your location, use https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php to see what the transmitter signal should be like.

I'm no expert on reading this stuff AVS forum may help but it appears KABC is transmitting at 28.7 kW ERP and has a Construction Permit to increase power to 50 kW ERP.
https://www.rabbitears.info/tvq.php?request=items&call=KABC-TV&arch=

I'm in Huntington Beach, I didn't receive ABC 7.1 even though I received NBC 4.1 from 40 miles away. ABC 7.1 is also 40 miles away, how can I receive it. I used an RCA Amplified Indoor Antenna.

IIRC, ABC is transmitting on VHF, and NBC is UHF.

(A brief check shows that channels 7, 9, 11, 13, and 56 are all still broadcasting in VHF.)

Several months ago, January I think, I had a period of a couple of weeks where KABC disappeared. Couldn't get it on any tuner in the house even with a direct feed from antenna to TV tuner. Then it came back and I haven't had any problems with it since. At the same time, there were no problems with KTTV which is on RF channel 11.

Signal strength is now on-par with KTTV, another high-VHF channel. 87% when I checked just now.

When it was out, I tried calling the KABC engineering department, but no one ever answered the phone.

KABC is on RF channel 7.

If you have a streaming or cable provider, check to see if they allow you to receive ABC via TVE.

On the Channels DVR web admin screen, scroll to the bottom of the settings page and check "Local Networks via TV Everywhere".

Check on this website. https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php
Find your location and it will show you the Field Strength for each station.
Notice the color coded "Good", "Fair", "Poor", and "Bad" next to each.
Here's the help article on using the signal search map.
https://www.rabbitears.info/static.php?name=searchmap_instructions