No space left on device

I have no issues with RPi 4 for the last week. Works fine. I have about 20GB on a 2TB drive. I will be moving to Intel i5 BeeLink for little more than RPi ($250) this weekend thanks to another user @lewisdrake post.

20 GB is low don't forget to keep checking the web page or space on your client.

That's expected in my case. I normally do not have a problem unless fancy bits pushes a software update and then all bets are off. Will have to figure out how to block the DVR server from figuring out it needs an update.

This is the only constructive post in this whole thread so far.

There is a whole class of items that could stand for a notification setup in Channels:

• Conflicts / Tuner management (hey, you have 3 SD tuners only, and 4 recordings scheduled - fix that!)

• Space alerts

• (next level) Recording queue items of interest (cancelled shows, preemtped items, etc)

1 Like

Maybe if we flip it around and come at it from another direction it will make more sense - we are talking about some series passes as "filler" content. Keep as many of them as you can until Channels runs out of disk space, and then when more space is needed Channels automatically delete the oldest episode from the pool of those kinds of series passes first.

And regardless of any of the above, if Channels runs out of disk space at least have the option to send me alert or minimally flash a warning on screen that recordings are not going to happen because of a lack of disk space. This is another "DVR 101" feature - it's nice there is a disk space indicator in the web UI - needs to at least be an option to show that in the clients too. My parents are never going to go into the web UI.

1 Like

Iā€™m explaining that instituting auto-deletions of any kind without explicit consent from the user, is a Bad Ideaā„¢.

Yup. Which is why Tivo has a "keep until I delete". Which, while not perfect, is light years above the zero auto management Channels currently offers.

Doesn't channels have keep till I delete? It would be nice if the actual algorithm to manage space were disclosed so users could set their expectations properly.

Doesn't channels have keep till I delete?

It only has keep until I delete. It's the only behavior. That's the rub. There's no way to easily record filler content that automatically uses whatever extra free space you may or may not have.

We agree. It's sitting at the top of the Settings screen in all of our client apps.

1 Like

We provide both things. As I said above:

Use "Keep last 3" to only keep the last 3 episodes regardless of their watch state. Channels will always keep the last 3 most recent recordings.

A post was split to a new topic: APFS disk utilization