NUC w/ 4GB RAM and 6th gen i3

Considering buying an older NUC that I found a deal on with OS and SSD installed. It is the one listed here on Amazon… https://amzn.to/2LYLatQ

Here are the specs…

• 6th Generation Intel Core i3-6100U
  • IntelHD Graphics 520
  • 4 GB DDR4 RAM
  • 60 GB SSD

I am planning to attach hard drive to it via USB for DVR recordings. Will this machine support transcoding and commercial indexing? Thanks!

Yes that will make a great DVR box.

Heck yeah! Thanks tmm1!!!

For not much more than that you could have a Synology DS218+ and a pair of WD Red 4TB drives.

I found a lightly used one for $166. This will be my interim machine to prove out the tech. I might invest in a Synology at a later date. Thanks.

I have almost the same question. I’d prefer something more low profile & rack friendly, and a NUC fits the bill for me more than the Synology 218+.

What am I missing out on with a NUC rather than the Synology if I am only using it for a Channels DVR?

It turns out that my $166 NUC was a bust. The person reneged on the deal after I purchased it. Anyway, I decided on an older Dell Optiplex 9020 SFF running an i7-4770 processor, 8GB of RAM, a 128GB SSD and a copy Win 10 Pro to boot. While it’s quite a bit bigger than a NUC, it runs silent, sips power and more than meets the need for my Channels, Plex, HDHomeRun DVR (???) server. The proc has a PassMark score of 9790, so I should be able to transcode 2-3 streams at 720p without much strain. The older i7 is 4 cores with hyper threading, which even the newer i3 couldn’t match. I plan to add a 1 TB spinner for longer term storage. We’ll see.

I’m interested in upgrading my current NAS which is the WD MyCloud EX2. I was thinking of getting the WD MyCloud PR2100. I have read a ton of threads here and always seem to come across most people recommending Synology DS218+ Is this the best NAS for the average user? I would want to be able to stream my recordings from work.I have been using HDHomeRunDVR for the last few years but finally decided to try something different. I used channels before in 2016 when I had an iPhone for a few weeks. I’m back on an iOS device now so i got the DVR. I’m loving the look and added features so far. I’m testing everything out right now before the new fall tv season starts but so far so good.

The major NAS are all pretty similar and easy to use. It’s just a matter of preference. Google the cpu model in both to get a good idea of performance.

thanks for the reply. I shall look more into this