NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV Pro - Dolby Atmos (TrueHD)

This has been discussed in many threads where it has worked for some and not for others. I am one of the others. I purchased the shield hoping to use it to play Dolby Atmos since my Apple TV couldn't do it. I can get 5.1 to work just fine with my shield and home theater receiver but when I try to use the Atmos (trueHD) soundtrack, my receiver shows just a stereo source and then does the virtual surround sound on all speakers.

I haven't seen in any threads what the actual setting needs to be for this to work. I would really appreciate it if someone could give me the recipe on what the setting need to be for the Channels DVR and the shield. Also, did you get it to work with the Channel DVR stable release or do I need the beta version?

Thank you in advance!

Apple TV support Dolby Atmos. But not TrueHD.
They are separate audio formats.

So which one are you referring to, or both?

Thanks for the clarification. I'm wanting to be able to have TrueHD come threw to my receiver with Channels DVR using the shield.

so, Are you saying that TrueHD is working fine in other apps just not Channels?

The only sound setting i know of is Surround Sound in the Channels app.
I think that being enabled does a passthrough.

What is your source? A local library file that has a TrueHD track?
As TVE is always stereo and OTA is AC3.

Local source using the channels local content functionality feature. It has the trueHD track

Other apps like netflix and Disney plus are able to work but my understanding is that those use Dolby Digital plus to stream Dolby Atmos.

The shield hardware supports eac3 and truehd based atmos playback.

However Channels app for Android TV does not fully passthrough these formats yet. I think it may work with DD+ Atmos but I'm not sure.

We plan to improve support here as these formats are becoming more common.

Ok so I must have misinterpreted someones comment that they had it working with channels and the shield box for local content.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.