Nvidia Shield - Client on Channels

While I really appreciate Channels Devs’ devotion to expanding/refining the iOS and tvOS functions for Channels DVR, I am a bit disaapointed with lack of forward progess on Android…especially Nvidia Shield (no improvements since May, 2017).

IMO, the Web UI covers all possible recording functions (even better than iOS/tvOS) for all platforms. I’ve had various problems running the Channels DVR on the Shield (primarily due to inconsistencies on the Shield…not related to Channels), however testing playback on the Shield, the Channels client appears to be rock solid.

Currently, I am Beta testing running an Emby Server on the Shield. It is still very much an alpha/infancy install. However, the Emby client (pointing to Channels folders) allows for alpha sort on recordings. This is a huge improvement over the Channels client which only allows chronological listings. There are still problems on Emby, much like Channels with requirements for re-booting the server every several days, but being able to list recordings in Emby on an alpha sort allows quick location of the included recordings.

My main reason for testing Emby is due to other DVR recordings (outside of Channels). At first, I struggled with Plex to combine all DVR recordings, but Plex still requires a VERY high powered server. Lots of buffering, etc. as Plex hasn’t maximized playback of mpegts recordings (like Channels and Emby)…either via server (Emby) or client (Channels) installs.

Ideally, I would prefer to use Channels for all playback, however this is not possible until I can capture all recordings on Channels. Currently, I have 50+ recordings which haven’t been rebroadcast since I switched to Channels DVR solution…over one year ago.

In the interim (and future), I would like to use the Shield as another Channels playback device, but cannot due to the lack of alpha sort.