Nvidia Shield server

I have a shield from 2017 running as my server. Is there any advantage to upgrading? I mostly watch on my brand new Apple TV anyway. Don’t know if the new one records better or something?

You might be better served by ditching the shield and going with a cheap mini server. It will give you better performance and reliability.

Oh yeah? Like what? I don’t really know much about that

Something like this below. Im a linux guy so i prefer to set up mine with ubuntu server. Then you have a truly set it and forget it setup. No windows updates, etc. Its really not that hard especially wirh youtube tutorials. Myself and others can guide you as well.

Get a usb hard drive enclosure and a 4tb drive and you are in business

Beelink Mini S12 Pro Mini PC, Intel 12th Gen Alder Lake- N100(up to 3.4GHz), 16GB DDR4 RAM 500GB PCIe SSD, Desktop Computer Support 4K Dual Display/USB3.2/WiFi 6/BT5.2/Gigabit Ethernet for Home/Office https://a.co/d/65aLiPK

2 Likes

If you decide to try the Linux route. I use one of these $85 ATOPNUC's running headless Ubuntu Desktop as my Channels DVR server. Stable as a rock; been running for months; can reboot my Shield's any time I want without danger of interrupting a recording in progress. Since everything is so stable I've taken to only updating CDVR to stable versions.

It wont ship to LA. UGH!

Probably known to Californiastan to cause cancer

1 Like

Really? That's odd.
Is it that it won't ship to LA or that the boat it comes in on will sit in the water for a year waiting to unload.

Not really. Depending upon the vendor and the shipping provider, they often exclude certain areas. (My sister is a teacher and tried to buy something from Amazon for her classroom—moveable drawers—and they cancelled the order because the vendor would not ship to her state.) Likely, it's because of reporting interstate taxes and other compliance issues.

Understood, but in this case the item is shipped by Amazon. For them to not ship to LA, I find it odd.