Nvidia Shield Sleep - Ok?

I am wondering if the channels server and DVR still works in the background If the Shield is allowed to go to "sleep"? I have the HD attached to the Shield via external storage. Main reason I am looking to do this is to have any other content I am streaming (Netflix, etc) stop when I turn the TV off by linking it to sleeping. Right now I have all sleep settings set to off. Thanks.

Mine works fine while sleeping.

Ok cool - I’ll give it a shot then. Wasn’t sure if something eventually timed out or not. Thanks.

If HD attached is powered by the USB port, make sure the option to keep the power on is set.
It's under Device Preferences, System.

For the integrity of your recordings, do not use an external USB drive powered only by the bus. If you are using an external drive, make sure the drive has its own separate power supply.

How does that affect the recording quality? I am using a portable drive...

The bus does not provide enough power consistently to power an external drive. Drops in voltage on the bus may interfere with the drive's performance and interrupt write operations. This is especially true if you are writing multiple streams to the disk at the same time.

Is that true regardless of whether or not the device is always on? I thought many people use portable drives for media servers. Haven’t noticed an issue yet but also have left the device always on (though as mentioned above there is an option on the Shield to keep the USBs powered).

I have several external drives in use across a couple of different machines. I've never had a problem with my drives, but they've never been bus powered.

If you want to take your chances with a bus powered drive, that's totally your option. But just be aware that you have issues down the road.

1 Like

Media Severs are ok to use bus powered drives but for DVR Recording, playback and probably Transcoding for remote viewing ... I would not recommend them.

Ok, guess I will keep an eye on it. I already had the portable external hard drive and it was a pretty good deal at the time (4tb for 52$) so I guess if I have issues with recordings missing sections or whatnot I will remember this in the future.

1 Like

Just wanted to follow-up as an FYI to others that I reached out to Nvidia support and they mentioned that the 2019 shield has a dedicated 10W power supply for the USBs, so there shouldn't be any power fluctuations based on CPU usage, etc. Also from digging around online seems like typical power draw for these type of drives when in use is about 2-3W. I couldn't find the current draw info for my WD drive to get my specific power consumption (only that it uses 5V power), but I would assume that it is under 10W and since this is the only thing plugged into the Shield everything should be just fine.

1 Like

Not sure which model you have, but here is a list of the WD power supply requirements. You will see that many of the models have adapters that are over 10 watts. Even the lower power 5V models have a minimum power supply of 10-Watts, if not higher.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8216/kw/adapter

I'm sure they build in some overhead, but it is possible that the 10 watts are net enough during peak stress.

Those look to be either 3.5'' drives or ones that have wifi built into them as well which certainly would require more power. I was looking at stuff like this for reference:

My mistake, I didn't realize you had a 2.5" drive. Here is a chart from someone who measured the draw of one of the 2.5" drives. Looks like a maximum wattage of 6W was used. So if Nvidia is correct, then the 10W should be sufficient for the 2.5" drive.

β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”¬β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”
β”‚ Power Dissipation      β”‚ 5TB, 4TB & 3TB models     β”‚
β”‚                        β”‚ +5V input average (25Β° C) β”‚
β”œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”Όβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€
β”‚ Spinup (max)           β”‚     1.2A (6W)             β”‚
β”œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”Όβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€
β”‚ Write average          β”‚     2.10W                 β”‚
β”‚ Read average           β”‚     1.90W                 β”‚
β”‚ Idle, low power mode   β”‚     0.85W                 β”‚
β”‚ Standby/sleep          β”‚     0.18W                 β”‚
β””β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”΄β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜
 Standby power is measured at steady state (after 200ms from transition)

Cool - thanks and hopefully this is helpful for other people too.